The Youth in Transition program serves homeless families by seeking to remove barriers to enrollment, attendance, transportation, and academic success. Families who live in any of the following situations may qualify for services:
- In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
- In a hotel/motel-not paid for by any type of insurance
- On the street
- In an abandoned building, trailer, campsite, or other inadequate accommodations
- Doubled-up with friends or relatives because affordable housing cannot be found - and that doubled-up situation puts the family or students sleeping in some type of temporary situation/location
If a family meets the above criteria, or you are an unaccompanied youth:
- Complete the Residency Affidavit for Students in Transition form (available in English / Spanish).
- (Optional) If you are new to PUSD and have missing enrollment documentation, complete the Affidavit for Missing Enrollment Documentation if applicable.
- Email your form(s) to Laura Upson, YIT Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org. For help in completing or returning the form, call the YIT office at 1 (858) 748-0010 x 4086.
Note: the Residency Affidavit for Students in Transition form is valid only for the current school year. BY LAW, families must complete a new form each school year.
Once YIT has received the completed necessary form(s), PUSD staff will reach out with program information.
School-Aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act. Those rights are:
For more information about PUSD's Youth in Transition program, download the Youth in Transition brochure (also available in Spanish) and Information for Parents and Youth-Bilingual (reference only).
If further assistance is needed, call the numbers listed below:
YITCARE COMMUNITY RESOURCES