Career Technical and Adult Education

Kathleen Porter, Executive Director; Alexis Knapek, Administrative Specialist II
Twin Peaks Center​, 
13626 Twin Peaks Road, Poway, CA 92064
(858) 668-4024

Summer Work Permits

Summer work permits will be issued Mondays through Thursdays between the hours of 9:00 am and 4:00 pm, Fridays, 9:00 am to 11:30 am beginning June 6, 2022.  You don't need an appointment but please have your documentation completed (see numbers 1 through 4 below). Please email Terry Kershaw at for assistance.

All students under the age of 18 who have not received their diplomas must obtain a work permit prior to starting employment. All students who attend one of the six high schools in the district or New Directions must obtain their work permit during the summer at Poway Adult School.

All minors under the age of 18 employed by parents must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement. Labor laws prohibit non-farm employment of children younger than 14. Special rules apply to agricultural work, domestic work in a private home, and the entertainment industry.

During the school year minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.

  1. Download a “Request for Work Permit & Statement of Intent to Employ Minor” Form CDE B1-1 at The form can also be emailed to you upon request. Email if you need a form.
  2. The employer must complete and sign the section “To be filled in and signed by employer”.
  3. Student must complete sections “Minor’s Information” and “School Information”.
  4. Parent or Guardian must fill out and sign section “To be filled in and signed by parent or legal guardian”.
Summer Work Permits will be issued:
June 6 through August 18, 2022
Poway Adult School
13626 Twin Peaks Road, Suite 100
Poway, CA  92064
9:00 am to 4:00 pm, M-Th
9:00 am to 11:30 am, Friday

Due to high demand, please allow up to a 72 hour turn around.

Incomplete forms will delay processing of your Summer Work Permit. 

Examples of acceptable identification for obtaining a work permit, bring at least 2 proofs of identification:

  • Proof of age (birth certificate, medical records, driver’s license or ID card listing date of birth)
  • Proof of school attendance (report card or school ID card)
  • Picture identification (school ID card, driver’s license, California ID card, Military ID card)

Students may not work until the Work Permit has been completed.

If you have any questions, please e-mail Terry Kershaw at or call (858) 668-4024.
For Entertainment Work Permits, please call (619) 220-5451.


Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?

A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?

A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q: When do work permits expire?

A: Summer 2022 work permits expire 8/31/2022. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins (August 25, 2022).

Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?

A: Only if your current work permit expires or you change employers.

Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?

A: No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued AND bring photo ID and proof of age.

Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?

A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?

A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?

A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the Summer, Poway Adult School issues work permits.

Q: Is there a map to Poway Adult School?

A: Yes, please click on this District Map link

Hours of Work

The following restrictions and spread of hours are for regular, school year permits. Any work permits issued for summer employment are considered vacation permits.

16 and 17 year olds:

4 hours per day Monday-Thursday, 8 hours per day Friday through Sunday, with a maximum of 48 hours per week. Spread of hours - 5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

14 and 15 year olds:

3 hours per day Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day Saturday and Sunday, with a maximum of 18 hours per week. Spread of hours - 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m; 40 hours a week. Spread of hours 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. when school is not in session for summer break.

12 and 13 year olds:

May be employed only during school holidays and vacations. Employment is restricted to certain household occupations, messengers, delivery, and agriculture.

The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, nationality, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact: Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, James Jimenez, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128, 1-858-521-2800, extension 2121, For students, you may contact Title IX Coordinator/ 504 Coordinator Jamie Dayhoff, Director of Attendance and Discipline, Poway Unified School District, 1-858-521-2840,

Annual Notification of Parents’/Students’ Rights English  Spanish | Professional Standards

Annual Notification of Employees’ Rights  |  Uniform Complaint Notification & Williams Procedure

POWAY UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT | 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128 | (858) 521-2800