STUDENTS NEW TO DISTRICT ONLY MAY ENROLL FOR FALL
FALL APPLICATION DUE BY AUGUST 30, 2019
DEADLINES (see calendar link below for trimester schools):
APPLICATION FOR SPRING 2019-20 DUE NOVEMBER 1, 2019
APPEAL FOR SPRING 2019-20 DUE DECEMBER 9, 2019.
APPLICATION FOR FALL 2020-21 DUE MARCH 16, 2020
APPEAL FOR FALL 2020-21 DUE APRIL 20, 2020.
- TURN IN APPLICATION TO YOUR SITE'S DESIGNEE BY THE DUE DATE.
- APPLICATIONS RETURNED AFTER THE DEADLINE STATED IN THE APPLICATION -WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED FOR ANY REASON
Off Campus Independent Study for Physical Education (OCIS-PE) is a program designed to assist athletes with their training schedules by allowing the student to take their Physical Education class at their training facility, under the direct supervision of their coach. The coach or trainer working with the athlete MUST be CPR/First-Aid certified in order to be considered. OCIS-PE must be a significantly different program that involves an activity in which the applicant competes at a state, regional, or national level. A major factor in determining acceptance or rejection of this request will be the difference between a recreational and a competitive program. OCIS-PE is not allowed for any team sports.
The nature of the activity must provide a training and weekly practice schedule minimum of 10 hours per week for middle school and 15 hours per week for high school- that indicates the applicant is a serious participant. Documentation of PREVIOUS competition and/or performance at the Regional (Northern, Central, or Southern California), State or National level must be submitted to the site administrator.
In the case of dance, participants must be an auditioned member, of a studio competition team, or performance company, be in the pursuance of a career in the dance performing arts, and supply additional documentation.
Please note: A Supplemental Attendance and Performance Record needs to be completed and submitted for each grading period (see page 10 of application packet).
THE FINAL GRADE MARK IS EITHER A PASS OR FAIL. No letter grades are assigned for approved OCIS-PE students.
In order for an application to be considered complete, the application must have the following:
- Copy of Coach's CPR/First Aid attached
- Copy of Coach's proof of negative TB testing within last 4 years
- Copy of Coach's qualification card attached
- Documentation of 2 previous competition/performance level of REGIONAL OR NATIONAL rankings attached
- Master Agreement page completed
- Verifying Signatures page completed
- Instructors' Qualifications page completed
- Learning Plan completed
- Proof of Commercial General Liability Insurance with limits no less than $1,000,000 combined single limit per occurrence
- Dance - Studio printout of weekly schedule (MUST include class description, time and duration, along with teacher's name and contact phone number)
- Dance - Copy of current Competition Team or Performance Contract (signed and dated)
- Dance - List of PREVIOUS Competition Pieces and Choreographer names and contact phone numbers (minimum of three required annually - one of which may be a solo)
- Dance - Official/Sealed DOJ level fingerprinting results
Return completed applications to your school site, unless your student is a current 5th grader or 8th grader. Current 5th and 8th grade applications must be returned to the school the student will attend NEXT school year.
MIDDLE SCHOOL PARENTS:
In order to comply with State Education Code (Section 46300) and attendance reporting guidelines, the following
♦ For Middle Schools with a traditional or block schedule, students participating in OCIS-PE must be off-roll during the first or last period of the day. (Traditional= Black Mountain, Meadowbrook, Mesa Verde; Block=Oak Valley)
♦ For Middle Schools with a rotating schedule, students participating in OCIS-PE will be required to be enrolled in another middle school class in place of PE. (Rotating=Bernardo Heights and Twin Peaks)
OCIS-PE CALENDAR OF DUE DATES: Please note: Once your application has been approved, it is good for the entire school year. Students may continue to apply during the school year and need to follow the calendar deadlines. Spring 2019-20 and Fall 2020-21(pdf)
Download the application: OCIS-PE application: Spring 2019-20 and Fall 2020-1(pdf)
Additional Attendance Sheets (After Approval): Attendance Log (pdf)
Alternative Programs: OFF-CAMPUS INDEPENDENT STUDY for PHYSICAL EDUCATION (OCIS-PE)
Patty Hurtt, Assistant Principal, mailto:email@example.com
Michele Cass, Administrative Assistant
858 - 748 - 0010, Ext. 2063; Fax 858-679-2630