Advanced Placement at PHS
Poway High offers a wide variety of Advanced Placement courses. As outlined by the College Board, Advanced Placement courses offer students the opportunity to take a college-level course in a high-school setting. All AP courses at Poway have been certified and audited by the College Board, and are current in their requirements and preparation.
The rigor of AP courses provides students with a setting that will prepare them for future college courses. In addition, students who score sufficiently high on the AP Exams can earn college credits for their efforts.
Students interested in enrolling in an AP course should speak to their counselor and current subject area teacher for more information. While Poway High follows the College Board's open access and equity policy, several courses involve summer coursework to prepare for the class. Information about this coursework is given during course registration in the spring trimester.
AP Course Information 2021-2022
AP® Course Resources for 2021-2022:
AP Testing Information 2020-2021
AP® Course Resources for 2020-2021:
- All students will be able to join a FREE online College Board AP® Class on The College
Board MyAP Site at http://myap.collegeboard.org once AP courses start (students will
need a College Board Account to Join the AP® online class.)
- Students will receive a 'Join Code' from their AP teacher to join the online group and be
able to access instructional materials and resources as well as assignments such as review
quizzes and tasks that teachers assign in the MyAP system. 'Join Codes' are specific to the
subject, and PHS teacher. Teachers will be distributing these Join Codes.
- ALL students are encouraged to complete the 'Join Code' step with the code from their
teacher to access the FREE online resources to use throughout the course of the school
year as a preparation and review tool.
- Exams will only be ordered for those who complete the additional steps below.
AP® Exam Order Deadlines for 2020-2021
Click here for AP Exam Ordering Instructions
- STEP 1: Activate the exam - Log into the MyAP System and activate the exam by Joining the class (see above) before the applicable deadline.
- STEP 2: Submit payment for the exam(s) that you are choosing to take by visiting http://aptsusa.com/powayhs AND complete an AP Payment Form and submit payment before the applicable deadline.
- BOTH Steps 1 and 2 MUST be completed by the applicable trimester deadline to order an AP® exam.
DEADLINE TO ORDER AN EXAM IS NOW BASED ON YOUR COURSE
START DATES. CLICK HERE FOR AP REGISTRATION DEADLINES.
AP EXAM FEE REDUCTIONS:
Students who qualify may have a portion of their exam paid for. To apply for a fee reduction, CLICK HERE
for the application, then email a scan of your application and proof that you qualify (Examples of proof: government agency documents - Dept. of Social Services/SSA, most recently filed federal income tax return, free/reduced-price meal verification letter) to firstname.lastname@example.org
. The qualifications can be found on page two of the application.
BOTH the Payment AND Join steps MUST be completed to enable a complete exam order
Frequently Asked Questions:
When will the registration window be open?
Should I join the MyAP AP Course even if I am not sure about taking the exam?
- The Exam order window for courses that start in August is Sept 15, 2020 - Oct 30, 2020. For courses that start in October/November or January, the exam order window is February 1, 2021 - March 1, 2021.
What if I can't log into my College Board account?
What if I drop the AP® Course(s) and no longer want to take the exam?
- Yes, ALL students should complete the Join Step to access the free online resources. Students who want to take the optional exam must also submit fees. Any active exams without the matching exam fees will be automatically de-activated and will not be ordered from College Board.
What if I want to add a Fall course's exam AFTER the October deadline?
- Contact email@example.com to cancel the exam & for a partial refund. Deadlines apply based on when your AP® course begins/ends. See http://aptsusa.com/powayhs for full details.
What if I want to take an exam for which PHS does not offer the course?
- Late registration with a penalty fee will be possible from October 31, 2020 - March 5, 2021.
What if you have other questions?
- Contact the PHS AP Coordinator, Ms. Brown to request permission. Independent Student requests will be considered based on space availability. Additional fees may apply.
- Detailed information and registration regulations as well as more FAQs are posted on http://aptsusa.com/powayhs - Be sure to review them all carefully
Information about Advanced Placement
Advanced Placement Courses and Instructors for
|AP Biology 3-4
|AP Calculus AB 1-2
|AP Calculus BC 1-2
|AP Chemistry 3-4
|AP Computer Science A 1-2
|AP Computer Science Principles 1-2
|AP English Language 1-2 (APEL) 11th grade
|AP English Literature 1-2 12th grade
|AP Environmental Science 1-2
||Van Pelt, Sharla
|AP European History 1-2 10th grade
|AP French Language 7-8
|AP German Language 7-8
||Von Ehrenstein-Smith, Marion
|AP Government & Politics 1-2 12th grade
|AP Human Geography 1-2
|AP Physics C: Mech 1-2
|AP Psychology 1-2
|AP Spanish Language 1-2
|AP Statistics 1-2
|AP Studio Art: 2D 1-2 (Photography)
|AP Studio Art: 3D 1-2 (Ceramics)
|AP Studio Art: Drawing 1-2
|AP U.S. History 1-2 (APUSH) 11th grade