Attendance Hotline (24 hr) ~ 1-858-538-2094
Attendance Update & Request 10/23/2020
or EMAIL email@example.com
We are asking for additional help from our families when reporting absence, by asking that you call or email the attendance hotline with detailed information when your student is ill. This will help us to track and report any possible cases of COVID-19 in our school.
Please note the following on your email/call to our CVES Attendance Department:
- whether your child has a fever,
- when the fever started, and
- any specific symptoms (fever/chills, cough, nasal congestion/runny nose, nausea/vomiting/diarrhea, fatigue, headache, poor appetite/feeding, muscle aches, sore throat, shortness of breath, new loss of taste/smell).
It would also be helpful to know if your child has been seen by a physician. The school’s absence hotline will also request this information when you call.
As always, Please do not send your child to school with any signs of illness, as they will either be turned away at screening or you will be contacted to pick them up immediately from school. Our school and PUSD continues to work closely with the San Diego County Department of Public Health and is using their guidance as we deal with COVID-19 in our community and schools. If you have any questions, please contact our office.
CVES Attendance Hotline:
- Please remember to call the attendance hotline each day your student is absent from school.
- When your child has a medical appointment, please send a note to the office. This will be documented as an excused absence. If a child has a fever, they must not return to school until they have been fever free for a 24-hour period.
- In addition to informing the teacher, please call the Canyon View 24-Hour Attendance Hotline at 858-538-2094 to report an absence or tardy for your student.
- When your student arrives late for school be sure to send him/her through the office to get a tardy slip before they enter the classroom.
- If your student will be absent from school for five school days or more, for any reason other than illness, please notify the teacher at least five days in advance and stop by the school office to complete an Off Campus Study Contract.
- For your convenience, a Calendar of Events, including holidays and professional growth days, was included in your Registration Packet. If you need an additional copy of the calendar, please stop by the office or check out the calendars page.
Because we value every minute available to students for learning, Canyon View Elementary School believes it is very important that students arrive to school on time, and attend school every day unless they are sick, have a doctor’s appointment, or are attending to a family emergency. If children are absent for any reason, their parents need to call our attendance hotline (858.521-0213) each day the child is absent. If the child went to a doctor’s appointment, it is best to bring a note from the doctor’s office for the school files.
Although this happens rarely, students who are absent without a valid excuse three times in one school year are considered truant. When this happens, a truancy letter is sent to the parents and a copy is forwarded to the Poway Unified School District Student Discipline and Attendance Office. If a formal notification is made three times, the student and his or her parents are referred to the District School Attendance Review Board (SARB) which then has the authority to refer the student to the juvenile justice system.
The purpose of this notification is to provide full disclosure about the legal responsibility all parents have to make sure their children attend school on time, every day. Thank you for your cooperation as we work together to provide your children with the finest education.
OCIS - Off Campus Independent Study
If there is a planned absence of 3 - 14 days , please contact the front office staff to set up an Off Campus Independent Study (OCIS) contract for the student. The contract must be requested at a minumum one week prior to the date of the absence
. A contract can be used for travel and for extended illnesses. An OCIS contract allows your student to do the work that they would be doing if they were in class, it is not counted as an absence, and helps the school to continue to be funded by the state.
Office Hours ~ Monday – Friday 7:30 AM to 3:30 PM
Phone ~ (858) 484-0981 firstname.lastname@example.org