The Poway Unified School District offers a Junior Lifeguard Program at our district pools for the surrounding communities. For more information, please contact Aquatics Coordinator, Tim Oelgoetz at e-mail address: [email protected] or call 858-521-2800 ext 2883.
The Poway Unified School District Junior Lifeguard Program offers youth - ages 11 through 14 - an opportunity to learn from professional lifeguards. The course focuses on building a foundation of knowledge, attitudes and skills of future lifeguards. Please read below for more information regarding program content and daily activities and expectations.
Students gain a wide variety of skills and knowledge including:
- how to enjoy the pool safely
- water safety education
- area familiarity
- first aid and CPR
- water rescue techniques
- the importance of keeping physically fit and other topics related to lifeguarding
This valuable experience builds self-confidence and skills for life.
Daily activities will usually include classroom work, lecture, skills practice and swimming in the pool. Junior Guards are expected to participate in all activities planned by their instructor.
Our Instructors are a team of PUSD Lifeguards who provide a fun and safe aquatic education to the youth of San Diego by developing confidence, mental and physical fitness and respect for one another and the aquatic environment. They have been chosen to work with the Junior Lifeguard Program based on their work history, lifeguarding experience and desire to work as a Junior Lifeguard Instructor. The Program is managed by the Aquatics Coordinator in the Poway Unifed School District.
Registration and Class Sessions
The PUSD uses an online registration process for your convenience! There will be a 5.25% service fee added to the cost of swim lessons for this online registration service.
Registration Dates: On-line Registration will open at 7:00am Tuesday, May 9, 2023.
You can register online here and view the classes that will be available.
Also, please note that class sizes are limited, so sign-up early!
|Junior Lifeguard Session Dates
|Session 1* FULL
|June 26 - July 13
|Session 2 FULL
|July 17 - August 3
*Junior Lifeguards are 3 hours M-TH. Each session is 3-weeks/12 classes
Time: Monday - Thursday 1:30pm-4:30pm
Location: Rancho Bernardo High School Pool
What to Bring to Every Class
- Backpack for all your child's equipment
- Uniforms items, such as a rash guard or t-shirt (A PUSD Junior Lifeguard t-shirt will be provided).
- Sunscreen (apply it before coming to class)
- Sandals/flip flops
- Pen or pencil
- Water bottle and snack
Junior Lifeguarding Prerequisites
Before entering the Junior Lifeguarding course, participants must:
- Demonstrate the following skills:
- Swim the front crawl for 25 yards continuously while breathing to the front or side.
- Swim the breaststroke for 25 yards continuously while using a pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence.
- Complete the Water Competency Sequence
- Step into the water from the side and totally submerge.
- Maintain position for one minute by treading water or floating (or a combination of the two).
- Rotate one full turn and orient to the exit.
- Level off and swim on the front or back 25 yards.
- Exit without using a ladder or steps.