PLEASE call the attendance hotline (858-679-2610)
every day your child is absent, preferably before 11 am.
The hotline is on 24 hours a day, so if you forget, please call as soon as you remember.
Satisfactory school progress is dependent upon regular attendance. The only excused absences are those resulting from illness, medical/dental appointments, court appearances, or a death within the immediate family. All other absences are considered unexcused.
When a student is going to be absent, parents are encouraged to leave a message on the school attendance hotline, (858) 679-2610, before 11:00 a.m. each day the student is absent. PLEASE do not call the office to report routine absences – use the hotline! (Our office phones and our desks can be very busy, using the hotline lets me check for messages during the quiet moments. Since California requires absences to be excused by an adult, absences may not be excused via e-mail.
Upon returning to school, the student may report directly to class if his/her absence has been cleared. A readmit slip is not needed if the office has received a parent call each day of the absence.
When returning to school with an uncleared absence, a student must:
- Bring a signed and dated note from the parent or guardian stating the reason for the absence, (only if the adult did not call to report the absence).
- Take the note to the Attendance Clerk prior to first period.
The following are considered truancies:
- Being absent from school without the knowledge and consent of a parent.
- Leaving the school grounds during the day without permission.
- Staying out of class without permission.
- Students who are truant will be assigned to Thursday School.
- Return to top of page
What do I do if my child will be late? Students cannot excuse themselves for being late or absent until they are 18 years old. Any students who are tardy after 8 am MUST check in at the office. Also, any tardy that is excused by a parent (even before 8 am) must check in at the office. Parents may excuse 2 tardies per trimester. If a student has more than three tardies, students will be assigned to detention.
Tardies accompanied by a note from the doctor or dentist will always be accepted and not counted against a student.
Unexcused tardies will be assigned detention or Thursday school (for tardies > 1 hour). Excessive tardies may also result in assignment to Thursday School.
- What do I do if we have to take our child on a trip with us, or will be out for a medical reason? For planned absences of 5 or more school days, try to contact the office as soon as possible (2 weeks is good). An independent study contract can be set up to allow your child to keep up with the schoolwork. To avoid confusion, please notify the Attendance Office, and we will get the assignments from the teachers.
- What about homework for planned absences less than 5 days? Please notify the teachers and the attendance hotline.
- My child will be having major surgery and missing more than 10 days of school? In some cases, we can get a home tutor for extended medical absences. However, this must be done well ahead of time if possible. Contact the Attendance Office ASAP!
How do I get homework for unplanned absences? Each student should get a study buddy for each class to get the assignments from. Some teachers also use My Connect. If your child is absent 3 or more days, please call the classrooms directly to get homework; early in the morning is best. Please remember to notify the office EACH day your child is absent, and notify us well in advance for PLANNED absences.