SUMMER WORK PERMITS
Summer work permits will be issued from June 6 - August 18 at
Poway Adult School
(13626 Twin Peaks Road, Suite 100, Poway, CA)
M-Th, 9 am-4 pm
F, 9-11:30 am
Click here for Summer Work Permit information
Please note - All work permits issued Aug. 17, 2021 - Aug. 18, 2022, expire at the end of August 2022 and will need to be renewed for the 2022-2023 school year in the PHS front office beginning Friday, August 19, 2022.
Steps to Obtaining a Work Permit While School is in Session
**Students may not work until the actual work permit has been issued.**
- Read, fill and sign the (B1-1) Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit form. You must provide your social security number (mandatory). You may click here for the form, or pick one up in the Administration Building.
- Bring to your employer to fill out the employer's information and sign.
- Return the completed form to the Poway High School administration building between the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:15 p.m. Please be aware that there is a 24-hour turnaround to process the work permit after it is dropped off at PHS.
- Students must pick up the work permit in person as it requires their signature. Parents or siblings may not pick up the work permit for the student.
- Please allow 24 hours to process the permit after the work permit has been dropped off at PHS.
Entertainment Work Permits
Approving Work Permits
Student attendance, discipline and course history records will be reviewed. The minimum requirements are:
Summer Work Permits are issued at the Career, Technical and Adult Education Office on Twin Peaks Road. For information and office hours, click here.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Minimum 2.0 GPA
- No more than three unexcused absences
- No excessive excused absences
- Fewer than three tardies
- No excessive disciplinary action taken
If the student meets all of requirements, the work permit will be issued. If student does not meet these minimum requirements, they will need to meet with their Assistant Principal. In some cases, the student will need to show improvement before a work permit will be approved or they may have work limitations. In addition, if student does not continue to meet the requirements during the school year when the work permit was issued, the permit may be revoked.
Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?
A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.
Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?
A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.
Q: When do work permits expire?
A: Summer work permits expire five days after the beginning of the next school year. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins.
Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?
A: No, a new work permit is not needed for your current job. Just remember that work permits expire at five days after the following school year begins.
Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?
A: No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued.
Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?
A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.
Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?
A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.
Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?
A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the summer, Poway Adult School issues work permits.