Arriving Late to School
Tardiness creates a significant disruption and takes away from the educational process for both the tardy student and the rest of the class.
Students who are late 0 – 29 minutes:
- Report directly to class. Check in with teacher so they can change your absence to tardy. If parent/guardian has called to excuse the tardy, the student’s attendance will be adjusted later in the day.
- If a student has a valid note from parent/guardian, present the note to the Attendance Office as soon as he/she arrives to school – student will receive an excused tardy readmit to class. Show readmit to teacher.
Students who are late 30 minutes – end of school day:
- Report directly to Attendance Office windows as soon as he/she arrives on campus, even if it is between classes, or at break or lunch time. Student will be issued a readmit to class. Show readmit to the teacher. The teacher will issue tardy consequence.
- If student has a note from a parent to excuse the tardy, report to the Attendance Office windows for readmit. The student will receive an excused tardy readmit to class. Show readmit to teacher.
- If arriving late from a doctor or dentist appoint, we encourage the student to bring a note from the doctor’s office to the Attendance Office to verify the visit. Report to Attendance Office windows for readmit.
When possible, please try to schedule appointments and non-school activities after school hours or on days when school is not in session (refer to the district calendar for non-session days).
If a student fails to check in with Attendance as soon as they arrive at school, they may be subject to disciplinary actions for not checking in. Students must check in directly with our office if late to school by more than 30 minutes, even if the student arrives between classes, at break or at lunch.
To excuse tardiness
- Students must have a parent/guardian call and leave a message within 24 hours on the 24 Hour Attendance Hotline 858-748-7016 to excuse the tardy or student must serve the consequence issued by their teacher.
- Students may bring a note to the Attendance Office to excuse tardiness. Students may only have their tardy excused within 24 hours or they will need to serve consequences with their teacher. Please make sure to include the following in your note:
- Full name of student
- Grade level of student
- Date of tardiness
- Reason for tardiness
- Parent/guardian signature
- Contact number where parent/guardian may be reached should we have questions
Excessive tardiness (even if excused by parent) will not be accepted and students will be subject to disciplinary action. Teachers will submit referrals for excessive tardiness and the consequences issued to a student will be at the discretion of an administrator.