Advanced Placement at PHS
Poway High offers a wide variety of Advanced Placement courses. As outlined by the College Board, Advanced Placement courses offer students the opportunity to take a college-level course in a high-school setting. All AP courses at Poway have been certified and audited by the College Board, and are current in their requirements and preparation.
The rigor of AP courses provides students with a setting that will prepare them for future college courses. In addition, students who score sufficiently high on the AP Exams can earn college credits for their efforts.
Students interested in enrolling in an AP course should speak to their counselor and current subject area teacher for more information. While Poway High follows the College Board's open access and equity policy, several courses involve summer coursework to prepare for the class. Information about this coursework is given during course registration in the spring trimester.
AP Testing Information 2022-2023
- All students will be able to join a FREE online College Board AP® Class on The College
Board MyAP Site at http://myap.collegeboard.org once AP courses start (students will
need a College Board Account to Join the AP® online class.)
- Students will receive a 'Join Code' from their AP teacher to join the online group and be
able to access instructional materials and resources as well as assignments such as review
quizzes and tasks that teachers assign in the MyAP system. 'Join Codes' are specific to the
subject, and PHS teacher. Teachers will be distributing these Join Codes.
- ALL students are encouraged to complete the 'Join Code' step with the code from their
teacher to access the FREE online resources to use throughout the course of the school
year as a preparation and review tool.
- Exams will only be ordered for those who complete the additional steps below.
AP® Exam Order Deadlines for 2022-2023
Click here for 2023 AP Exam Ordering Instructions
- Step 1: Activate Exam – Students must JOIN their AP® Class on the MyAP Site at https://myap.collegeboard.org to activate the exam order and complete the process. To access the site, create or use a College Board Profile. (See FAQs for more details.) Students join the AP Class with a Join Code (access code). See deadlines below based on course commencement date.
- Step 2: Submit Exam Fees for courses that commence in Trimester 1– To indicate intention and commitment to take an AP® exam in the May 2023 AP® Exam administration, submit exam fees by November 4, 2022 to avoid late fees via the link below.*
- BOTH Steps 1 and 2 MUST be completed by the applicable trimester deadline to order an AP® exam.
Fee reductions are possible for qualified students. If you feel you may qualify for a fee reduction, please submit the Fee Reduction Application Form
or in the counseling office. Once eligibility has been confirmed, you will be provided with a Fee Reduction Code that will reduce the cost of the exam(s) to the appropriate amount on the online payment form. Application forms for fee reductions must be submitted no later than October 15, 2022
to guarantee processing before the Fall deadline. Penalty fees will apply if registering during the late payment period. Students who were approved for a fee reduction in the Fall do not need to apply again but should see their counselor for a Spring Fee Reduction Code.
BOTH the Payment AND Join steps MUST be completed to enable a complete exam order
Frequently Asked Questions:
Should I join the MyAP AP Course even if I am not sure about taking the exam?
What if I can't log into my College Board account?
What if I drop the AP® Course(s) and no longer want to take the exam?
- Yes, ALL students should complete the Join Step to access the free online resources. Students who want to take the optional exam must also submit fees. Any active exams without the matching exam fees will be automatically de-activated and will not be ordered from College Board.
What if I want to take an exam for which PHS does not offer the course?
- Contact email@example.com to cancel the exam & for a partial refund. Deadlines apply based on when your AP® course begins/ends. See http://aptsusa.com/powayhs for full details.
What if you have other questions?
- Contact the PHS AP Coordinator, Ms. Brown to request permission. Independent Student requests will be considered based on space availability. Additional fees may apply.
Information about Advanced Placement
- Detailed information and registration regulations as well as more FAQs are posted on http://aptsusa.com/powayhs - Be sure to review them all carefully
- Questions about taking Advanced Placement courses can be directed to your counselor.
- AP Course Time Commitment Calculator - These charts will help calculate the time commitment you are signing up for when signing up for multiple AP courses.
- AP Course FAQs - Frequently asked questions and answers regarding AP Courses at PHS.
- AP Course Progression - AP course progression and recommendations for success in AP courses.
Advanced Placement Courses and Instructors for
|AP Biology 3-4
||Banh, Rachel; Chrispeels, Arno
|AP Calculus AB 1-2
|AP Calculus BC 1-2
|AP Chemistry 3-4
|AP Computer Science A 1-2
||Tormey, Bailey; Woldseth, Kelly
|AP Computer Science Principles 1-2
||Tormey, Bailey; Woldseth, Kelly
|AP English Language 1-2 (APEL) 11th grade
|AP English Literature 1-2 12th grade
|AP Environmental Science 1-2
||Van Pelt, Sharla
|AP European History 1-2 10th grade
|AP French Language 7-8
|AP German Language 7-8
|AP Government & Politics 1-2 12th grade
|AP Human Geography 1-2
|AP Physics C: Mech 1-2
|AP Psychology 1-2
||Ambort, Breezy; Cook, Daniel
|AP Spanish Language 1-2
|AP Statistics 1-2
||Sebastian, Susan; Tormey, Bailey
|AP Studio Art: 2D 1-2 (Photography)
|AP Studio Art: 3D 1-2 (Ceramics)
|AP Studio Art: Drawing 1-2
|AP U.S. History 1-2 (APUSH) 11th grade