Students 14 - 17 years old seeking employment are required to have a work permit in order to begin working. Issued work permits are valid for the current school year, and must be renewed each school year.
Students are unable to work until an official work permit has been issued to the student from the MCHS front office or, during summer break, from the PUSD Poway Adult School office. Work permits issued during the current school year from MCHS are valid through summer and will expire at the beginning of the next school year. All work permts issued from Poway Adult School during the summer will expire in late August 2023, at the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year. Students will need to complete a new Work Permit Application to renew their work permit.
Newly hired during the summer? Summer work permits are issued Monday, June 12, 2023 - Tuesday, August 15, 2023
, from 9:00am - 4:00pm on Mondays - Thursdays, and from 9:00am - 11:30am on Fridays, at the Poway Adult School location at 13626 Twin Peaks Road, Suite 100, Poway, CA 92064. You do not need an appointment, but please have your documentation completed. Processing time for a work permit could take up to 72 hours. Please email Brian Murphy at email@example.com
for assistance. Please view this link for details and documentation needed. SUMMER WORK PERMITS
All summer work permits expire at the end of August 2023. Students will need to complete a new Work Permit Application at the beginning of the 2023-2024 school year to renew their work permit.
Approving Work Permits
Student attendance, discipline and course performance will be reviewed.
The minimum requirements are (all within the current school year):
- Minimum 2.0 GPA, both cumulative and current trimester
- No excessive tardies in any class
- No excessive absences in any class
- No excessive disciplinary action taken
- Not on Tier 2 for any reason
If the criteria is met, the work permit may be issued.
Steps To Obtaining A Work Permit
- Complete the Work Permit Application (B1-1) Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor form. Student completes sections 1 and 2, parent/guardian completes section 3, and employer completes section 4.
- Submit completed Work Permit Applications to the MCHS front office.
- Please allow 48-72 hours for processing. Once processed, the student will need to pick up the official work permit in the front office.
- The student must sign the work permit; only the student can pick up the work permit.
- The student is responsible to provide their employer with the issued work permit prior to starting employment.
Work Permit Revocation: The decision to revoke or deny a work permit will be decided by the Work Experience Adviser. If, at any point during the school year, the student no longer meets the minimum requirements as outlined above, the work permit may be revoked or in the case of a new Work Permit, it may be denied.
For table summaries of child labor law requirements and restrictions arranged by age, click here.
For information on entertainment work permits, click here.
PUSD District Work Permits webpage.