Students 14 - 17 years old seeking employement are required to have a work permit in order to begin working. Issued work permits are valid for the current school year, and must be renewed each school year.
Please note - Monday, June 6, 2022 - Thursday, August 18, 2022 -
Students will need to take work permit applications to the Poway Adult School - Career Technical and Adult Education location at 13626 Twin Peaks Rd., Poway, CA 92064, for processing. Please click HERE
Students may not work until an official work permit has been issued to the student from the MCHS front office or PUSD district office.
Approving Work Permits
Student attendance, discipline and course performance will be reviewed.
The minimum requirements are (all within the current school year):
- Minimum 2.0 GPA, both cumulative and current trimester
- No excessive tardies in any class
- No excessive absences in any class
- No excessive disciplinary action taken
- Not on Tier 2 for any reason
If the criteria is met, the work permit may be issued.
Steps To Obtaining A Work Permit
- Complete the Work Permit Application (B1-1) Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor form.
- Submit the application to Mrs. Angelo in the MCHS front office or email the application to Mrs. Angelo by June 3, 2022.
- Please allow 24-48 hours for processing. Once processed, the permit will be in the front office for pick-up.
- The student must sign the work permit; only the student can pick up the work permit.
- The student is responsible to provide their employer with the issued work permit prior to starting employment.
Work Permit Revocation: The decision to revoke or deny a work permit will be decided by the Work Experience Adviser. If, at any point during the school year, the student no longer meets the minimum requirements as outlined above, the work permit may be revoked or in the case of a new Work Permit, it may be denied.
For table summaries of child labor law requirements and restrictions arranged by age, click here.
For information on entertainment work permits, click here.
PUSD District Work Permits webpage.