24-Hour Attendance Hotline: (858) 484-8512
Press 1 for Early Release (Off-Campus Pass)
Press 2 for all other Attendance needs (Absence or Tardy)
Attendance Office Hours:
|During the regular school year:
||Monday - Friday 7:00am - 3:30pm
||Monday - Friday 8:00am - 12:00pm
- You may access the Attendance Office during student break, lunch and after school.
- There is direct access into the Attendance office through the door labeled Attendance, on the outside of the Admin building. You do not need to go through the Front office to get to the Attendance office.
Report a student absence
- Reporting all day absences:
It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to report their student’s absence. To report an absence, call the attendance office hotline before 11:00am EACH DAY that the student is absent. All absences must be cleared within 48 hours or they will be considered as TRUANT.
- Less than 15 minutes late:
Students arriving during the first 15 minutes of class time must go directly to class. The only exception is if the student has a note to clear the tardy. All notes to clear tardies are to be brought up to the Attendance office before proceeding to class.
- More than 15 minutes late:
All students arriving more than 15 minutes late must check in at the Attendance Office for a readmit. This includes students arriving between classes, during break, and at lunch. Late arrivals over 15 minutes must be excused by a parent or they will be coded as class cuts.
- Medical Excuses
In order for a student not to be penalized for any tardy or absence, the State of California requires verification in writing, on official letterhead, showing student’s name and date of appointment.
In order to ensure the best educational experience, attendance to class should be a priority. If a student has ten absences this will be considered excessive and a SARB letter will be sent to the district office, unless a medical note is provided.
Off-Campus passes (for early dismissal)
Students are responsible for picking up their pass from the attendance office before school, during break or at lunch. We do not interrupt class to deliver passes.
Parents or legal guardians - please leave the following information to request an off-campus pass at
(858) 484-8512. Only parents or legal guardians, or students 18 years old, can request off-campus passes.
- Specify if student is In School or Virtual Learning
- Name of student (please spell last name)
- Grade level of student
- Date and time the student needs to leave school
- Reason student is leaving early
- Are they returning? Please leave approximate time of return
- Name of person calling and relationship
- Contact number should we have questions
If the student is In School Learning we ask that you call the day before to request the pass, so that we can prepare the pass and have it ready for your student the next day. However, should you discover your student needs to leave the same day, please request the pass at least three (3) hours before the student needs to leave campus. If three hour notice is not possible the parent/guardian will need to come to the Attendance Office and show ID to check out the student.
- Illness during school
Students who are feeling ill must report to the Health Office and may obtain their off campus pass after staff has spoken to the parents/guardians. THE ATTENDANCE OFFICE WILL NOT CHECK OUT STUDENTS WHO ARE ILL.
- Lunch Passes
Due to Covid-19, a student can leave at lunch only if they do not have a 5th period.
It is important that your student attends every assigned period every school day. Sporadic attendance impacts the academic achievement of your student. We have initiated a comprehensive attendance monitoring program at Mt. Carmel to curtail chronic absences and to keep you informed of your student's presence in classes. Attendance is taken in each period.