2017 Course Selection Frequently Asked Questions - FAQs

Q. What is MCHS Core and UC “A-G”?
A. The University of California developed the “A-G” subject requirements to ensure that students attain a body of general knowledge that will provide breadth and perspective to new, more advanced study. Mt. Carmel’s Course Request Worksheet is designed to facilitate “A-G” achievement, and introduce our MC Core standards; a list of courses that surpass the basic High School Graduation requirements and resemble the A-G standards. For more information on “A-G” visit: http://www.ucop.edu/doorways/

Q. What do colleges think about students choosing an off-roll?
A. The trimester system provides students an opportunity to earn up to 75 credits each year when only 60 credits per year are needed for Graduation. Off-Rolls can be used to offset a heavy course load, to ensure 5th period availability for athletics, or to honor volunteer activities, internships, family responsibilities, or part-time employment, etc. Off-Roll does not appear on Transcripts.

Q. My student is an athlete and during the season he/she frequently misses 5th period class, is there a way to request an elective specifically in 5th period?
A. No, the only way to ensure that a student doesn’t miss 5th period class is to take an Off-Roll 5th period of the trimester in which the sport is in season.

Q. How does the new math curriculum affect me?
A. The math curriculum is changing and will mostly affect 9th and 10th grade students. All students should ask their current math teacher for their recommendation of what to take next year.

Q. Should I take 2 or 3 trimesters of math?
A. Aside from moving further ahead in math, the advantage of 3 trimesters of math is keeping your math brain engaged, making it easier to pick up where you left off.

Q. I took Spanish in middle school does that count?
A. Middle school coursework does not generate high school credit, nor is it recorded on the high school transcript. However, Middle School Spanish does count towards meeting the A-G requirement for Language other than English.

Q. Do I need a foreign language to graduate high school?
A. No, but most 4 year colleges require 2 years of the same language; and many recommend 3 years.

Q. What is considered a lab science?
A. All the science courses offered at MCHS are lab sciences and meet the UC “D” requirement. 

Q. What are the “typical” fundamental science classes needed if students want to attend a 4 year college after high school?
A. Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Q. Do I need to take two levels of the same class to meet the UC “F” requirement?
A. Not necessarily, but the 2 classes must be in the same discipline, for example Drama and Choir are both in the Performing Arts discipline. Design Mixed Media and Photography are both in the Visual Arts discipline.

Q. Does Tall Flags/Dance Props fulfill the “F” Visual and Performing Arts requirement or the PE requirement?
A. No, Tall Flags/Dance Props is “other elective.”

Q. I’m not interested in the “G” courses offered, how do I meet the “G” requirement?
A. Any “A–F” classes taken beyond the minimum required will count as “G” electives. For example a fourth year of math, a third year of science or foreign language or a second year of any visual or performing arts electives.

Q. If got a “D” or “F” in a class, do I have to repeat it?
A. YES!! See your Counselor. Counselors will also have the course numbers necessary for you to re-enter those classes.

Q. What should I know about the PUSD Virtual High School Online classes? Are they hard? How do I know if I am a good candidate to take an online class?
A. The PUSD Virtual classes are a great choice for students who are independent and good at balancing various responsibilities. In the absence of a daily classroom contact with a teacher, students have to be very responsible and proactive with their questions/concerns about the assignments and curriculum in the online classes. Students shouldn’t take an online course for a subject that they struggle with. 
It is the goal of the Poway Unified School District that this website is accessible to all users. You can view our accessibility statement here.  Please contact our Web Administrator for any accessibility issues at mswain@powayusd.com.
The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact the Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406, 858-521-2800, extension 2761.

Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406