Del Norte Counseling
DNHS CEEB School code: 054351
Outside PUSD Courses
COURSES TAKEN OUTSIDE PUSD
Students can pursue any classes at any school that you find fit for your student's goal, learning style, schedule, budget, locations, etc. Parents and students take full responsibility to verify if the course(s) meet 4-year college admissions/UC/CSU A-G requirments and National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA), and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) athletic eligibility requirements.
If the student has not started 9th grade yet:
If the student is a current Del Norte student and attending Del Norte:
- Students are not permitted to transfer classes/credits to their high school transcript prior to the start of 9th grade.
- One of the benefits of Del Norte’s trimester calendar is that students are provided ample time to fulfill and exceed graduation and college admission requirements in the regular day. Additionally, you have a fantastic Counseling team at the middle school who will also provide insight & guidance. They are your first point of contact. You may also want to connect with your current 8th grade teachers to determine your preparedness for the next levels.
- On the upcoming Freshman CRF, students should select the courses they intend to take in 9th grade. If a student plans to do summer coursework outside of PUSD to prepare for 9th grade, they should provide evidence of completed summer work to Del Norte Counseling by 9th grade registration in August. Priority will be given to upper-grade levels (10th-12th).
- The 9th grade CRF is carefully created with course options our teachers, counselors and administrators feel are the appropriate fit for 9th grade students. It is our recommendation that 9th grade students ONLY CHOOSE courses that are listed on the 9th grade CRF. If a student chooses a course offered at Del Norte that is not on the 9th grade CRF, the student should review department recommendations on coursework completion prior to taking the course. A parent/guardian should attach a signed and dated note to the CRF with an explanation of the family’s plan for their student to prepare for the course. Any course requested that is not on the 9th grade CRF will be considered if space is available, which may not be finalized until the end of registration in August. Some courses are only available to specific grades and will not be available for 9th grade. The student should provide a copy of evidence of their completed (summer) preparatory coursework to Del Norte counseling by 9th grade registration in August.
- Once parent/guardian and student determine which school and course they want to pursue, they must complete the pre-approval forms prior to enrolling in the course - the student should see the registrar for written permission to take a course outside of PUSD.
- Upon completion of approved courses, it is the family’s responsibility to order an official transcript (signed and sealed) to be received by the DNHS Registrar’s office by the deadline.
- If the course is a Palomar College course, the student should 1) register on Palomar’s website where they will get a Palomar student ID number, 2) complete the K12 form with parent signatures and Palomar ID #, 3) bring the K12 form to DNHS registrar for authorization, 4) submit K12 form to Palomar College, 5) enroll in the Palomar class.
- Courses taken off-campus do NOT replace previously earned grades/credits on-campus. If you are pursuing an approved course off-campus for transferable grades/credits back to the DNHS transcript and completed the forms, then both grades factor into cumulative GPA.
- Students should request the courses they plan to take the next school year on their CRF, and provide evidence of successful completion of outside courses by registration in August.
UC Course List website: https://hs-articulation.ucop.edu/agcourselist
Palomar College Application 101
Palomar Calendar (Important Dates of which to be aware)
Palomar Catalog (Class descriptions and offerings)
Palomar Catalog (Look up classes and meeting times)