Del Norte Counseling
DNHS CEEB School code: 054351
CA State Seal of Biliteracy
Application deadline is on April 1st of your senior year. The completed application (accessed below), including signatures and all required documents (AP score OR Teacher Oral Verification Proficiency Form) must be given directly to your school counselor. As part of the application packet, please also include a signed transcript release form for coursework and GPA verfication.
PUSD has adopted the California State Seal of Biliteracy (SSB) to be awarded to our high school seniors. The SSB provides recognition to high school students who are fluent in two or more languages. In order for students to be considered candidates for the SSB, they must meet the criteria outlined below. Once the criteria have been met, the SSB insignia will be placed on the student's diploma, and noted on their final high school transcript.
- Completion of four years of English coursework with an average GPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Attained a score of “on grade level” on the SBAC administered in grade 11.
Please provide a copy of your score report with this application. If you did not meet this requirement last year, you may retest this Spring 2023.
- Demonstrate proficiency in an additional language through ONE of the following:
a. AP World Language exam score of 3 or higher
b. NEWL test for an additional language with a score of 3 or higher
c. Complete a four-year high school course of study in a world language (which means
completion of 8 terms of a world language during high school OR completion of a world
language 7/8 course) with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher in that course of study. Years of language taken in middle school do not count.
Students using this elibility requirement must also:
Complete the PUSD Oral Language Proficiency Verification form.
d. Pass the CDE approved Tagalog assessment with a score of 75% or higher on the reading
assessment and Stage 2 "High" or higher on the Speaking and Writing assessments.
4. If you are currently identified as an EL student, you must have attained an overall level 4 on your most recent ELPAC test.
It is the student's responsibility to apply for the California State Seal of Biliteracy by submitting all required paperwork by the deadline of April 1st of your senior year.
- CA State Seal of Biliteracy PUSD Student Letter
- CA State Seal of Biliteracy Brochure
- CA State Seal of Biliteracy FAQ
- CA State Seal of Biliteracy Application
- CA State Seal of Oral Proficiency Verification
- NEWL Frequently Asked Questions
If you have further questions, please email your DNHS School Counselor.