ATTENDANCE HOTLINE ~ 1-858-487-1180 x4232
ATTENDANCE POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
An important key to school success is making sure your child comes to school on time, each and every day.
School begins at 8:55 a.m. Students should line up in their class lines when the line-up bell rings at 8:50 a.m. so they can be in class, in their seat, ready to learn when school officially begins. If your child arrives to school late, he/she is required to come to the office for a late slip before going to class.
- In the event that your child is sick, please do not send them to school. Please call the attendance hotline to inform the office. Please do not ask your child’s teacher to pass along any messages to the office, as the beginning of their day is very busy and the information may be delayed.
- If your child is going to be absent you are required to report the absence to the attendance hotline/office. If we do not hear from you by 10:00 am the morning of the absence, an automated message will be sent to your home requesting that you call the school within 24hours.
- It is District policy that all unverified absences be recorded as truant.
- If your student has visited a doctor/dentist during their absence, please ask their office for a note for school. This will be beneficial to your child’s attendance record. If your child will need to be checked out early for a doctor/dentist appointment a note is also required to update your student’s attendance record.
- According to PUSD policy, 12 or more absences is considered excessive and may result in the issue of attendance letters and further actions.
California law (EC 48260(a)(c) classifies a student as “a truant” when the student has missed school on three (3) occasions involving any combination of the following:
- Being absent from school without a valid excuse for a full day.
- Being more than 30 minutes late to school.
- Being absent from school without a valid excuse for more than 30 minutes.
For purposes of this article, a valid excuse includes, but not limited to,
- Reasons for which a pupil shall be excused from school pursuant to sections 48205 and 48225.5
- And may include other reasons that are within the discretion of school administrators and
- Based on the facts of the pupil’s circumstances, are deemed to constitute a valid excuse.
Ed code 48200 requires: “Minors 6-16 years of age to attend compulsory full-time school on a daily basis for the full length of the school day.”
- Once a student has reached FIVE tardies without proper medical/dental verification, an attendance letter may be issued.
- If a student has more than THREE tardies that are greater than 30 minutes, without proper medical/dental verification, a child is considered truant and further action may be taken.
- Please note: students checked out early on a regular basis violates compulsory attendance. This violation may also result in attendance/tardy letters or truancy. Refer to ED Code 48200.
Students on IDT’s who have excessive tardies and absences will be issued a letter of warning for IDT revocation.
If you should have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call the office and we will be happy to answer any questions you may have.
Off Campus Independent Study (OCIS) contract
If your student will be away from school for FIVE consecutive days or more due to a vacation or personal commitment, please come to the office to fill out an OCIS contract. This contract will allow your child to make up work he/she will miss and will also allow him/her to receive full credit for his/her completed work. We ask that all responsible parties (parents, teacher, administrator AND student) sign the OCIS contract.
After signing an OCIS contract, please allow the school 7-10 school days for processing and for the teacher to provide adequate work for your child. Please remember that work must be returned to the teacher upon your child’s return from his/her absence for your child to receive school credit.
Painted Rock follows all PUSD attendance policies.
Office Hours: Mon, Tues,Wed & Fri: 8:00 am to 3:30 pm
Thurs: 8:00 am to 2:00 pm
Main Phone: (858) 487-1180