Student safety is a priority at Del Sur Elementary. The gates will be locked daily from 8:45 am- 3:05 pm and on Thursday at 1:25 pm. All visitors must check in at the office
ARRIVAL TO SCHOOL
- Students should not arrive at school before 8:25 a.m. as there is no adult supervision until that time.
- Students go directly to the playground, where they drop off backpacks and their belongings on their class lines. Students may not go through the halls.
- School begins promptly at 8:45 a.m. Warning bell sounds at 8:40 a.m. Students are expected to be in their seats by 8:45 a.m.
- Students arriving after the 8:45 a.m. tardy bell, must come to the office for a late slip before going to class.
On rainy days, if your student arrives before 8:30, they go to the MPR. If they arrive between 8:30 - 8:45, they go directly to the classsroom.
Once students arrive at school, they may not leave the campus or playground during school hours without permission from the office. Students must be checked out in the office by a parent or guardian. Please remind your children that NO student may leave the school grounds during the school day without first being signed out through the office.
DISMISSAL FROM SCHOOL
Please meet your students at their designated dimissal areas:
- TK at classroom door
- Kinder at black gates by the office
- 1st: black gate at the lunch court
- 2nd/3rd: black gate next to the bike rack area
- 4th: bus loop roundabout at the west side of the school
- 5th: Flagpole area on the north side of the school, off Paseo Del Sur
Parents do NOT meet their children inside the school or by their classroom, as it is a distraction to the learning environment and ads to the congestionin the hall ways significantly.
SAFETY TO & FROM SCHOOL
When walking to and from school it is important for students to follow all traffic rules. When coming to or leaving school, students should always stay on the crosswalks and sidewalks. At no time is it safe to walk or run through the parking lot. At no time should students play in the front areas of the school which include the flagpole areas, cement planters, parking lot, and inner courtyard. Unsupervised playground activities should NOT occur before or after school hours.
Parents are reminded to obey all parking lot guidelines to ensure safety in the parking lot for all students.
Parents driving students to and from school should adhere to the parking lot procedure for dropping off and picking up students. Parents/Guardians should park in the parking lot to pick up their children.
We understand that occasionally emergencies occur and parents are late to pick-up their child. To insure safe supervision of all students, children left unattended after 3:05 pm and on Thursday at 1:25 p.m. will be taken to the office.
There is no parking allowed in the red zones at any time.
Traffic Flow: Parents driving students to and from school should follow the procedures of state law. Enter the parking lot to drop off your child by making a right hand turn off of Paseo Montenero and exiting left or right onto Paseo Montenero. Please drive all the way forward in the drop off/pick up zone. Do not let your child out of the car until you are stopped at the edge of the curb. Please abide by the directions of our wonderful volunteers and staff. They are working hard to ensure the safety of our children.
PARKING LOT ETIQUETTE
PARKING IN THE PARKING LOT
- Please drive slowly.
- Follow the Golden Rule with other drivers and staff members. Remember that you are not the only one in a hurry.
- Please do NOT get out of the car to assist or escort your child.
- Pull up close to the car in front of you.
- Please refrain from using cell phones while driving in the parking lot.
- Please do not park in the reserved spaces.
- Park in one of the parking spaces, not in the traffic flow area at any time of the day.
- If you park in the red zone or in the handicapped parking and leave your vehicle, you are likely to be ticketed by the San Diego Police Department.
Thanks for your cooperation! Remember -- Courtesy is Contagious!
- Bicycle riding is allowed for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Permission slips are available in the office.
- Bicyclists are required to wear safety helmets.
- Bicycles are to be walked on school grounds. School grounds include, but are not limited to Del Sur Road from Edgemoor to the end of the parking lot.
- Bicycles need to be walked to designated area and locked to the bike racks prior to the start of school.
- Bicycle riders need to ride in a safe manner. Bicycle privileges will be revoked from anyone who is not riding safely to and from school.
- Skateboards, motorized scooters, roller blades and other shoes with wheels are not permitted as a means of traveling to or from school.
- Tennis shoes with wheels are not allowed on campus.
(including shoes with built-in wheels) and skateboarding are not allowed on campus at any time.
VISITORS AND VOLUNTEERS
Board Policy 4.415 prohibits volunteers on campus until they have completed a background check and had a TB Skin Test. A TB Skin Test schedule was sent home in the first day packets. All visitors and cleared volunteers must report to the school office, sign-in, and wear a badge/nametag while on campus. The PTA keeps track of volunteer hours and reports them to Palomar Council. If you are planning on volunteering and have not completed the proper paperwork, please contact the Office and remember that you may not volunteer until this is completed. SEE Volunteers
page for forms.
District School Safety Information