Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my student forgot something?  

If your student forgot an item or lunch, please drop it off in the main office. To avoid classroom interruption, the students are asked to check the office at recess or lunchtime.  Lunch is always available in the cafeteria.  It is a good idea to keep some money in your child's lunch account for days when lunch is forgotten.

How do I inform the school when my student is absent?

Please call the Absence Hotline at 858-679-9343 before 10 a.m. each day your child is absent.  The hotline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

What if my student is tardy?

Students arriving late to school must come to the main office accompanied by a parent/guardian. Please remember – tardy students walking into class impacts the learning environment for everyone.  Please be on time.  

What are OCIS (Off Campus Independent Study) Contracts?

We hope you will schedule family vacations around school vacations, but should there be a planned absence of five days or more, please come to the front office as soon as possible (at least 10 business days) to set up a homework contract for the student. A contract should also be used for extended illnesses.  A minimum of one work week before the absence is required to set up an OCIS Contract.

How late can my student remain on campus after school?

It is important that students are picked up before 3:40 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Wednesday by 2:00 p.m. as there is no supervision after school. Please make arrangements with friends or neighbors to pick up your child on those occasions when you are unable to get to school within this timeframe.  Please note that ESS (Extended School Services) is available for a fee.

What if my student has no lunch?

Please try to avoid sending your child to school without snack and/or lunch packed from home, or without lunch money in their account.  The cafeteria may supply a child 1 lunch but the parents will be called to provide monetary reimbursement to the cafeteria by the following day or the student can call the parents from the office phone to see if they are available to bring a lunch.

How do I find out how much money is left in my students lunch account?

Our office does not have access to the lunch accounts but you may call PUSD Food Services office at (858) 668-2570 x2138 to get this information. Also, you can set up an account with

Where are the lost and found items kept on campus?

If your student has lost a sweatshirt/jacket or other large item, the lost and found is located near the lunch area.  For smaller items, you may check at the office.  Items marked with a student's name will be returned to the student. Please be sure to check often, as the lost and found items are donated to charity periodically. 

What if I want to talk to my student’s teacher? 

For most teachers, email is the best way to contact him/her.  If you have trouble reaching a teacher, you may contact the school office to relay a message for you.

What if I want to request homework for my student?

If you would like homework for a student who missed school, please contact the teacher by emailing him/her.
It is the goal of the Poway Unified School District that this website is accessible to all users. You can view our accessibility statement here.  Please contact our Web Administrator for any accessibility issues at

The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, nationality, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental ability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact: Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, James Jimenez, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128, 1-858-521-2800, extension 2121, For students, you may contact Title IX Coordinator/ 504 Coordinator Jamie Dayhoff, Director of Attendance and Discipline, Poway Unified School District, 1-858-521-2840,

 View Annual Notification of Parents’/Students’ Rights English  | Spanish | Professional Standards  | Annual Notification of Employees’ Rights

Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406