Substitute Teacher Employment Application and Information
Thank you for your interest in the Poway Unified School District. The District is committed to preparing students to be college and career ready. We hire, retain, and support the highest quality staff from diverse backgrounds to ensure our students’ learning.
As a substitute teacher, you will be part of a team of educators dedicated to providing our students with a rigorous learning environment every day.
The Substitute Desk is available to assist you with the application and hiring process. Additionally, the Substitute Desk is available to assist you throughout your employment as a substitute teacher.
Interested applicants must follow the steps as outlined below:
1. You'll need a Teaching Credential Or 30 Day Emergency Permit:
To apply for your 30-Day Emergency Sub Permit or Teaching Credential please click the following links. Credential information
, 30-Day Emergency Permit
. SDCOE locations are listed below.
San Diego Office of Education – Main Campus,
6401 Linda Vista Rd.
San Diego, CA 92111
North County Center
255 Pico Avenue
San Marcos, CA 92069
2. Complete fingerprint requirements.
Fingerprinting - If you are applying for a California Credential or Emergency Permit for the first time you will be required to do the DUAL fingerprinting process. See the link for more information on the NEW requirements for fingerprinting.
then click the Human Resources tab, select fingerprinting. If you are a retired teacher returning as a substitute, fingerprinting may be required. Contact the Substitute Assignment Desk for more information.
3. Submit an online application (Taking applications until May 2023)
. All required documents listed below must be attached to your application in Edjoin, please do not send your attachments to my email.
Please have the following set of fingerprints completed before applying:
- Three signed letters of recommendation dated within the past three years
- Unofficial copies of your transcripts
- CBEST test results (This is not a required attachment in your application but, if you have your results please include them.)
- TB Results/X-ray Results
- DOJ Clearing House Fingerprints (DOJ FORM) , (needed for certificated employment with PUSD.)
To find a location to get your fingerprints done, please click HERE.
- In accordance with the Education Code, all employees must provide proof of having been checked and found free of active tuberculosis before beginning employment. Please provide evidence of a negative test within the last 4 years
. A copy of the test results is sufficient. Retired
teachers will need to complete Certification from Contagious or Infectious Disease (I-30).
The Substitute Desk
will review applications on a regular basis. Applicants selected for employment will receive communication from the Substitute Desk. You will be given a day and time to attend a required employment orientation. Employment documents will be e-mailed to you. You will be advised to bring the following required documents to the appointment:
- Social Security Card
- Driver’s License or a valid picture identification
- Completed orientation documents
Questions: Feel free to contact Melissa E. Mann at the Substitute Assignment Desk: email@example.com
See also Board Policy - Substitute Teacher Procedures
The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact the Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406, 858-521-2800, extension 2761.