Please follow the tips and suggestions below to assist you in nominating a worthy classified employee for the Everyday Heroes Recognition Program.
WHAT CONSTITUTES A GREAT NOMINATION
- Complete all the information in the nomination form (or as much as you know)
- Be specific and detailed in the nomination information section
- Explain why you are nominating the employee and what they did that is worthy of recognition
- Give a specific example
- Check spelling and grammar by copying nomination information into Word before nomination submission
- Use acronyms
- Assume other departments/schools know what you are talking about if it is specific to your line of work
- Assume a nomination can only come from a supervisor - it can come from a colleague, parent, community member, etc.
SAMPLE REASONS TO RECOGNIZE A CLASSIFIED EMPLOYEE
- An employee comes up with a way to improve a process that results in a positive and efficient end result.
- An employee reaches out to include others and fosters an extraordinary sense of teamwork during the development of a new program.
- An employee provides outstanding service to a parent that results in a dramatic improvement of the parent’s perception of his/her school.
- An employee personally relates to a student which results in that student attending school more regularly.
- An employee trains a colleague in a system/procedure that improves the school’s/office’s overall level of proficiency.
EXAMPLES OF GREAT NOMINATIONS (with names changed to protect confidentiality)
- Ms. Samantha Tucker is one of the finest examples of commitment to excellence. Her dedication focuses on providing timely, effective, and innovative technology to all students and staff in the PUSD family. Each and every person she comes in contact with becomes a priority and the focus of her attention. She’s always available, tenacious in finding a resolution to every challenge, and welcoming to all that come to her with a need.
- I am nominating Daniel Jimenez because of his genuine care and concern for students and their families. When Mr. Jimenez walks into an ELL classroom, the feeling of respect from our Latino students is palpable. Because it is with genuine care and concern that Mr. Jimenez communicates with parents and students, he as quickly won the admiration of those with whom he works. The late night phone calls to parents who work during the day, the home visits, the meetings he sets up for families; all of these tasks are done less because they are Mr. Jimenez’s job and more because central to his core is a believe that all students can be successful. Parents of Latino students have come to believe that their students can go to college and enjoy the same success as other students. They also recognize that they too are part of our school community and are welcome on the school campus, regardless of any language barriers.
- Honest, caring, happy, helpful, and kind. These words describe Martha Quinn almost to a tee. She helps way beyond what is required of her job as a Library Media Technician, in ways that not everyone would see. As 900 books each week go off the shelves, they also must be returned to their rightful places. Everything is kept in order and everyone is welcomed, from pres-school through fifth grade, into a warm and friendly environment. Her strength is definitely keeping us running at top speed, but with a soft hand.
- Our school believes that with Mark Tabula as our Lead Custodian, “we are always in good hands.” Mark is completely dedicated to our school. He frequently arrives early and stays late to make certain that all his tasks and duties are completed. He frequently mentions how important it is to him that his school be maintained as a clean and safe place for students, staff, and the community. Mark supports and helps with all PTA and Foundation events after school hours. Many parents have told me that he is the best custodian they have ever seen. Mark is a loyal, caring and dedicated employee who is well-liked and respected by all those who know him. His outgoing and friendly personality helps to keep even the most stressful situations in a positive and balanced level.
- I would like to recommend Steve Markson as an employee to be recognized. As an HVAC technician, Steve does his very best to assist staff when there are concerns regarding the comfort of staff and students. He goes out of his way to help in ways that are beyond the scope of his job description. Steve also gives much of his personal time coaching little league baseball and basketball. There are many nights he might be out until 9 or 10 at night with the kids, never making excuses and always arriving for work at 6 the next morning. This is an individual who really puts forth an effort to do something that has a positive impact on the boys who are on his teams.