New Student Enrollment is open!
We are happy to welcome you to our school district!
New Student Enrollment for Poway Unified School District is an on-line process.
As required by State law, all children entering Kindergarten must be five years of age on or before September 1, 2022.
If your child's 5th birthday is between September 2, 2022 and February 2, 2023, they will be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten. For first grade enrollment, California law requires a child to be six years of age on or before September 1 to be legally eligible for first grade. (EC Section 48010) See 22-23 Grade Level Chart
PLEASE NOTE: Your student’s enrollment ensures a seat at a school in Poway Unified. We make every effort to enroll your child at your neighborhood school. In some cases, classes at your neighborhood school may reach capacity, in which case we will work with you to place your child at a nearby school.
TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN AND/OR KINDERGARTEN LOTTERIES: Should a site be determined near capacity in grades TK or K, a lottery process may be necessary to determine student placement. Only enrollment packets received between April 1, 2022 and April 5, 2022 11:59 p.m. at these sites will be eligible to be included if a lottery process is necessary.
Poway Unified offers both In-person Learning and Alternative Learning Pathways. All new students must first enroll in their school of residence.
Poway Unified offers both In-person Learning and Alternative Learning Pathways. Families interested in Connect Academy or Poway Home Education will have the opportunity to submit their interest after submission of their 2022- 2023 digital new student enrollment packet. For all other alternative learning opportunities, please visit the websites below for enrollment information. Alternative Learning Pathway enrollment is dependent upon space availability per learning option.
On-Campus Full Day (K-12 and TK Half Day)
On-campus learning environments five days per week.
Alternative Learning Pathways
- Connect Academy (Grades K-8)
- A future-focused and innovative hybrid school that blends the best of on-campus schooling (such as hands-on labs, book clubs, science hikes, field trips, and more!) with live virtual instruction, to offer students and families a flexible and supportive learning experience.
Connect Academy offers two pathways, one for elementary students and one for middle school students:
Elementary Learning Pathway: Connect Academy (K-5 Hybrid Online and In-Person) with an introduction to computer science
Middle School Learning Pathway: Connect Academy (6-8 Hybrid Online and In-Person) with a computer science curriculum integration
- Please visit the Connect Academy webpage for more information.
- Poway Home Education Program (PHEP) (Grades TK-8)
- For families who prefer to home school their children using PUSD and state adopted curriculum. Please visit the Alternative Learning Programs webpage for more information.
- New Directions - Independent Study (Grades 6-12)
- The independent study program gives students the opportunity to meet middle and high school requirements outside the regular classroom setting. Please visit the Alternative Learning Programs webpage for more information.
- Poway Virtual Courses (Grades 9-12)
- Virtual courses offered in a variety of subject areas as a complement to students’ in-person or independent study schedules. Please visit the Poway Virtual Courses webpage for more information and enrollment directions.
- Poway to Palomar Middle College (Grade 11)
- A new dual enrollment partnership with Palomar College offering a focus on academic opportunities by providing students with access to college courses, internships, independent learning and electives. Please visit the Middle College webpage for more information and eligibility requirements. (PPMC Website )
Directions for the New Enrollment Process
Packets are completed digitally using any computer, tablet or smartphone with an internet connection. (Please contact your assigned school of residence to schedule an appointment if you do not have access to a device/internet or need assistance with completing the online enrollment packet.
STEP 1: Gather Documents Required for Enrollment
In order for your enrollment packet to be reviewed, copies of specific documents must be uploaded with your digital enrollment packet. If you need support with online enrollment contact your school site to make an appointment. Below are the items that you will need to supply in order for your child's enrollment packet to be accepted. If possible, documentation should be submitted in PDF format. If you do not have access to a scanner, there are multiple free phone apps that transform photos into PDF documents, including:
- Enrolling parent/guardian photo ID (must be uploaded with digital enrollment packet)
- Age Verification Document (must be uploaded with digital enrollment packet)
- Accepted documents include Birth Certificate, Current Passport or Baptismal Certificate
- Two current forms of residency (must be uploaded with digital enrollment packet)
- TWO current, different verifications of the following documents are mandatory for residency verification. At the minimum, ONE form of residency verification must be uploaded with your digital enrollment packet in order for your packet to be reviewed. Accepted documentation: Deed to home, Mortgage statement/escrow paper, property tax receipt, current utility bill, receipt for deposit with local utility company, military orders, rental agreement, rent receipt, bank statement, any other legal document that establishes home address within school boundaries.
- Immunization Records
- High School Transcripts
- Incoming 9th grade students need their most current report card
- All other students need a high school transcript with all completed high school courses *Please note, the Request to Transfer Records does NOT include a transcript or report card. A transcript is required for proper course placement.
Please email your School Site Enrollment Administrator using the Enrollment Email by School:
STEP 3: Download and/or Print and Sign any Noted Required Forms Located at the Conclusion of the Packet.
Once parents/guardians have completed the online enrollment packet please download any required forms. Sites will direct you on how and when to submit the completed forms.
Need technical help? Technical help is available by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
EXTENDED STUDENT SERVICES BEFORE AND AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
If you are interested in before or after school Extended Student Services Program (ESS) please click here.