Poway Adult School

Summer Work Permits

CLICK HERE if you need a School Year Work Permit
All students under the age of 18 who have not received their diplomas must obtain a work permit prior to starting employment.  All students who attend one of the six high schools in the district or New Directions must obtain their work permit during the summer, and when school is not in session.


  1. Print an application for a work permit (Form CDE B1-1). [PDF].
  2. Complete the form and have your parent/guardian & employer sign and date their section. It is mandatory to provide the social security number and not optional. 
  3. Scan the completed application (Form CDE B1-1) and a picture of your ID to the following email address: tkershaw@powayusd.com.
  4. Check your email address in 24 to 48 hours for a copy of your work permit that can be printed and taken to your employer. You may begin working immediately. 

The official work permit will be sent to your employer by US Mail addressed to the manager. If you have questions or concerns you may email tkershaw@powayusd.com for assistance. 

All minors under age 18 (including minors employed by parents) must have a work permit. Minors who have high school diplomas, have passed the state proficiency examination or are performing certain types of employment are exempt from this requirement (see below).

Minors must meet mandatory school attendance laws and academic requirements in order to obtain work permits. Schools have the legal right to restrict or reduce the type of employment and/or the hours of work if evidence is shown that the schoolwork or health of the minor is being impaired by the employment.

Summer Work Permits will be issued 
June 10 through August 20
Monday - Thursday: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 to 11:00 am
Please allow a 24 hour turn around

To obtain your Work Permit:

To obtain your 2019 Summer Work Permit:

  1. Download a “Request for Work Permit and Statement of Intent to Employ Minor” Form CDE B1-1 at www.powayadultschool.com or https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/dlseformB1-1.pdf  The form can also be picked up at Poway Adult School, 13626 Twin Peaks Road, Poway, CA 92064.
  2. The employer must complete and sign the section “To be filled in and signed by employer.”
  3. Student must complete sections “Minor’s Information” and “School Information”.
  4. Parent or Guardian must fill out and sign section “To be filled in and signed by parent or legal guardian”.
  5. Bring your completed request form to Poway Adult School. (A signed Request for Work Permit is not a complete Work Permit.) Work permits are processed on a first come first served basis. However, depending on the volume of work permits received, a 48 hour turn around may apply.

Work permit hours are listed below:

June 10 through August 20
Monday through Thursday: 9:00 am to 4:30 pm
Friday: 9:00 am to 11:00 am

Incomplete forms will delay processing of your Summer Work Permit. Students must be present when the work permit is issued as an original signature is required. Parents may not sign for students.

Bring the following documentation with you:

  • Proof of age (birth certificate, medical records, driver’s license or ID card listing date of birth)
  • Proof of school attendance (report card or school ID card)
  • Picture identification (school ID card, driver’s license, California ID card, Military ID card)

Students may not work until the Work Permit has been completed.

If you have any questions, please e-mail Terry Kershaw at tkershaw@powayusd.com or call (858) 668-4024.
For Entertainment Work Permits, please call (619) 220-5451.


Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?

A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?

A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q: When do work permits expire?

A: Summer 2019 work permits expire 9/06/19. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins (August 22, 2019).

Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?

A: No, a new work permit is not needed for your current job. Just remember that work permits expire at the end of the school year.

Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?

A: No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued AND bring photo ID and proof of age.

Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?

A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?

A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?

A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the Summer, Poway Adult School issues work permits.

Q: Is there a map to Poway Adult School?

A: Yes, please click on this District Map link


The following restrictions and spread of hours are for regular, school year permits. Any work permits issued for summer employment are considered vacation permits.

16 and 17 year olds:

4 hours per day Monday-Thursday, 8 hours per day Friday through Sunday, with a maximum of 48 hours per week. Spread of hours - 5:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.

14 and 15 year olds:

3 hours per day Monday through Friday, 8 hours per day Saturday and Sunday, with a maximum of 18 hours per week. Spread of hours - 7:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

12 and 13 year olds:

May be employed only during school holidays and vacations. Employment is restricted to certain household occupations, messengers, delivery, and agriculture.


The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, nationality, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental ability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact: Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, James Jimenez, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128, 858-521-2800, extension 2761, jjimenez@powayusd.com

Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406