Poway Unified School District Aquatics
Lifeguard Training Class
LIFEGUARD TRAINING v. 2017
Welcome to the Lifeguard Training certification program! Lifeguard Training will be offered in a blended learning course, with online and classroom components. American Red Cross (ARC) requires all Lifeguard participants to complete the ARC Lifeguard Online Course prior to the first-class date.
American Red Cross requires participants to successfully complete the following prerequisites, to receive certification. Refunds will not be issued to participants who do not successfully complete all course prerequisites and course completion requirements, according to the American Red Cross standards. Please make sure you can complete the following course prerequisites and course completion requirements before you attend class. Thank You!
1. Participants must be at least 15 years old on the last class date.
2. Participants must complete the American Red Cross 8 hour on-line Course prior to the first-class date.
3. Participants must swim 300 yards continuously, without stopping – using the front crawl or breaststroke only.
4. Participants must tread water for 2 minutes, using legs only – participants may not use their arms and their face must remain at or near the surface.
5. Timed Drill (1 minute, 40 sec): Participants must swim 20 yards, dive down and retrieve a 10-pound weight from 7-feet deep, then swim back another 20 yards with the 10-pound weight in their hands using their legs only. Participants must keep two hands on the weight and their face must remain at or near the surface. Once the participant reaches the pool wall, they must place the weight on the pool deck and climb out of the pool with no assistance. According to American Red Cross requirements, participants may not wear goggles for this drill.
6. The American Red Cross also requires the following for successful course completion: participants must attend all scheduled dates and times, demonstrate proficient skills and pass a written exam with a score of at least 80 percent.
WHAT TO BRING TO CLASS
1. Proof of age
2. Proof of online course completion – screen shot or print a copy
3. CPR mask if not purchased
4. Bathing suit – one piece swim suits for females and rash guard (optional)
5. Towel, sunblock, snacks and lunch, paper, writing utensil
Location: Rancho Bernardo High School Pool, 13010 Paseo Lucido San Diego, Ca 92128
Dates: Sat, June 4, 2022 - Sun, June 5, 2022
Times: Sat 8:00am - 6:00pm/Sun 10:00am - 6:00pm
Course Fee: $275.00 (course fee includes: American Red Cross service fees and Pocket Mask) Make Checks Payable to PUSD
REGISTRATION & MORE INFO
For more registration information or questions regarding this course, please contact Aquatics Coordinator, Tim Oelgoetz at e-mail address: firstname.lastname@example.org or call 858-521-2800 ext 2873.
Lifeguard Certification course will train and certify participants to be a national lifeguard for swimming pools. The Lifeguard certification course includes the following American Red Cross certifications: Lifeguarding, First Aid and CPR/AED for the professional rescuer, valid for 2 years. We teach a blended learning course format with online education, classroom and in-water components. American Red Cross requires all Lifeguard certification candidates to complete the American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Online Course prior to the first class date. Participants must be at least 15 years old at the time of the course.
CERTIFICATIONS INCLUDED | Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer
NOTE | This class does not include Title 22 First Aid
NOTE | To ensure participants taking the American Red Cross Online Course have the best possible online experience, Red Cross recommends taking the online course from a PC or Tablet and disabling pop-up blockers. Red Cross PC/Tablet Online Course Requirements
Lifeguard Online Course Steps
1. Register for class with instructor
2. Take Lifeguard Online Course
3. Login or Create Red Cross Account
4. Launch Course
5. Bring Proof of Course Completion to Class
American Red Cross requires students to have access to all materials below. Please download manuals, print the training forms and bring to class with you. Red Cross also requires students to watch certain video segments, please watch the required video segments below before your first class date. Thank You!
Print |Registration Form
Print | Lifeguard Training Forms
Download | Lifeguard Manual
Video Segments | Watch Before First Class Date
Using a BVM
Conscious Chocking – Adult and Child
Conscious Chocking – Infant
CPR – Adult and Child
CPR – Infant
Multiple Rescuer Response
When Thing Do Not Go As Practiced