New Directions Counseling Information
Tony Sims, Counselor
(858) 748-0010, ext. 2067
Lauren Whitfield, Counselor
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
(858) 748-0010, ext. 2066
Carrie Bennett, Counseling Assistant
(858) 748-0010, ext. 2420
FYI: The Mindful Moment
In order to support our students and help them reduce their stress and anxiety, the district is implementing a “Mindful Moment” each day at all PUSD schools; the purpose is to provide an opportunity for students to calm themselves and have a quiet moment to prepare for learning.
The following is a suggested script our teachers and staff will use:
- OK, Class, let’s take a moment to have our “Mindful Moment” to start our day.
- The “Mindful Moment” is so we can all start the day together with our minds ready to learn and focus for the day.
- Remember to put away all distractions and make sure you’re sitting comfortably.
- You can close your eyes or put your head down on your desk if you want to, or you can keep your eyes open too. Just make sure you are quiet and still.
- Try to think about important or positive things that will help you be your very best today.
- You may have spoken to your family about what you should think about during this time, but if you’re not sure, you can start with how you might better focus in class today.
- This is an opportunity to make the most of your time and abilities while you’re at school.
- The mindful moment starts now and will last for 60 seconds. Remember no talking or distractions for yourself or others. Ready, go.
- (After 60 seconds.) Alright, Class, that’s the end of our “Mindful Moment.”