Student Board Member Selection Process
The Poway Unified School District Board of Education believes it is important to seek out and consider students’ ideas, viewpoints, and reactions to the District’s educational program. To provide student input and involvement, the Board shall include a student board member who will be selected following an application and interview process during the spring of the year prior to appointment.
PUSD juniors interested in holding this position during the 2023-2024 school year are encouraged to complete the application form online (link available starting March 1, 2023).
Students should prepare the following required materials for their application:
- Written responses to all of the prompts below.
- Keeping in mind the areas of authority of the PUSD Board of Education, identify and discuss what you consider to be one of the most challenging problems currently impacting Kindergarten through 12th grade education. Indicate the steps you feel should be taken to address this challenge. (Please limit your response to 1200 characters.)
- Why do you want to serve on the Poway Unified Board of Education? (Please limit your response to 1200 characters.)
- As the Student Board Member, you will be asked to seek and share student perspectives regarding issues facing the Board of Education. In what ways have your previous interests and experiences prepared you for this position? Include your experiences with both peers and adults. (Please limit your response to 1200 characters.)
- List highlights of your experiences and academic achievements and honors, extracurricular activities, community programs, and community service. (Please limit your response to 1200 characters.)
- 2 Letters of Recommendation. Please provide one letter of recommendation from a high school teacher and one from an administrator (e.g., principal, assistant principal, or counselor at your high school.)
- Optional Items. These may include the most recent transcript of your grades, newspaper articles, or clippings.
All applications must be received between 7:30am Wednesday, March 1, 2023 and 4:30 pm Friday, March 31, 2023. No late or incomplete applications will be accepted.
Any student who is a Poway Unified high school junior in good standing may apply.
Term of office: The Student Board member will serve a one-year, school calendar term from August 2023 to June 2024.
Commitment: The Student Board Member (1) attends monthly meetings of the PUSD Board of Education; (2) gives sufficient time to study the issues coming before the school board; and (3) serves as the student voice for the school district (4) serves on the Superintendent's Student Advisory Council, which meets monthly.
The Selection and Appointment Process for the 2023-2024 Student Board Member
Initial Screening: Immediately after the application deadline of March 31, 2023, all applications received will be reviewed and finalists will be invited to interview.
Final interviews: *Finalists must be available Monday through Wednesday afternoon, April 3-5, 2023*. Each of the final candidates will be interviewed by the Student Board Member Selection Committee comprised of Poway Unified Board of Education members, the Chief Communications Officer, the Superintendent, and the outgoing Student Board Member. The selection committee will choose one student who will serve as the PUSD Student Board member for 2023-2024. An alternate will also be selected, in the event that the Student Board member is unable to serve.
Appointment: *The PUSD Student Board member must attend the Thursday, April 6, 2023*, School Board meeting. They will be presented to the Board, Superintendent, and public at this time. All applicants will be thanked for applying and will receive notice of the final selection prior to the Board meeting.
PUSD Student Board Member Application and Selection Process
Information to High Schools: February 2023
- Information sent to Principals (email)
- Flyers and application information sent to ASB, civics teachers (email)
- Flyer and application information posted to District/high school websites and social media
Applications accepted: Starting 7:30am Wednesday, March 1, 2023
Applications due: 4:30 pm Friday, March 31, 2023 (no late or incomplete applications will be accepted)
Final interviews: Must be available Monday through Wednesday afternoons, April 3-5, 2023
Contact applicants and notify person selected: April 3-5, 2023
Student Board Member Officially Announced/Introduced: Must attend April 6, 2023 Board meeting
Student Board Member Serves: August 2023 through June 2024
Board approval of policy: January 16, 2020 ~ BP 9150