Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if my student forgot something?
If your student forgot an item or lunch, please drop it off in the main office. the office will call the classroom to let the teacher know that the student has an item to be picked up.

How do I inform the school when my student is absent?
When your child is absent, please call the attendance hotline  (858) 679-2603

What if my student is tardy?
Students arriving late to school must come to the main office accompanied by a parent/guardian with a note stating the reason for their tardy. Parents may excuse up to three tardies for personal reasons per semester.  If you know that your child will be tardy due to an appointment, please provide the office with advance notice by calling the attendance hotline at (858) 679-2603.

Please remember – Tardy students walking into class impacts the learning environment for everyone. Please be on time.

What are OCIS Contracts?
Should there be a planned absence of five days or more please see our office assistant to set up a homework contract for the student. All OCIS Contracts require a minimum of 7 days notice, prior to the start of the contract. 

What is the earliest I can drop my student off at school?
The earliest you can drop-off your student to school is 7:20am when the playground opens with staff supervision. If you need before-school care, please note that ESS (Extended School Services) is available for a fee, from 6:30am – 6:00pm.

How late can my student remain on campus after school?
It is important that students are picked up before 2:20 pm Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, and on Tuesday by 12:40 pm as there is no supervision after-school. When it is not possible for you to pick up your student before this time, please note that ESS (Extended School Services) is available for a fee, from 6:30am – 6:00pm.

What if my student has no lunch?
Please try to avoid sending your child to school without a lunch packed from home, or without lunch money in their account. Students need a nutrious lunch in order to continue learning.

How do I find out how much money is left in my students lunch account?
The main office does not have access to the lunch accounts so you may call PUSD food services office at (858) 668-2570 to get this information. The Poway Food and Nutrition Department is pleased to announce the implementation of a new computerized point of sale (POS) system. School Payment Solutions will provide you with new and improved features for managing your child’s school meals account. Learn more here.

Where are the lost and found items kept on campus?
If your student has lost a sweatshirt/jacket or any other item, Tierra Bonita's lost and found is located at the front gate area. Please be sure to check periodically, as the lost and found items are donated periodically.

What if I want to talk to my student’s teacher?
During school hours, you may call the school number and enter your student’s teachers extension (see the Staff Contact listing for extensions) and leave them a message.

What if I want to request homework for my student?
If you would like homework for a student that missed school, please contact the teacher by leaving them a message or e-mailing them your request.
It is the goal of the Poway Unified School District that this website is accessible to all users. You can view our accessibility statement here.  Please contact our Web Administrator for any accessibility issues at

The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived race, color, ancestry, national origin, nationality, immigration status, ethnicity, ethnic group identification, age, religion, marital or parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, or gender expression or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact: Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, James Jimenez, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128, 1-858-521-2800, extension 2121, For students, you may contact Title IX Coordinator/ 504 Coordinator Jamie Dayhoff, Director of Attendance and Discipline, Poway Unified School District, 1-858-521-2840,

 View Annual Notification of Parents’/Students’ Rights English  | Spanish | Professional Standards  | Annual Notification of Employees’ Rights

Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406