1. What are the names of the Earth’s oceans?
What is the name of the imaginary line that divides the Earth in half
What is the northernmost point in the world called?
What part of a map contains the information on what the map’s symbols
Find an example of an area of land that is completely surrounded by
water. Write down its name. What term is used to describe this type of land?
All lines of longitude are measured east and west of what imaginary line?
What does a star on a map usually mean?
8. Which of the following is not a state: Idaho, Houston, New Mexico, Colorado?
1. What are the names of the
four hemispheres of
the Earth? In which two do you live?
Is the Arctic Circle north or south of the Tropic
What is the name given to a point of land extending into a body of water?
What lines measure distances east and west of the Prime Meridian?
Which of the following is not a city: Dallas, St.
Paul, Cincinnati, Delaware?
Locate the Gulf of St. Lawrence in eastern
Canada. Now write a definition of a gulf.
Latitude is measured north and south of what
8. What is the capital of the largest country in northern Africa?
Is the Tropic of Capricorn north or south of the equator?
What are the names of the seven continents of the earth?
What is the difference between latitude and longitude?
French Guiana and Guyana are countries on what continent?
Which oceans do the equator cross?
What line of longitude forms the other half of the Prime Meridian?
What is the capital of the only state bordered on the south by Arkansas
and through which the 40 N line of latitude passes?
8. What is the capital of the Central American country that has a major canal running through it?
What is the capital of the South American country of Brazil?
What country has the largest land area in the Western Hemisphere?
What is the city located on the Chesapeake Bay that is the capital of
Through which four South American countries does the 20 degrees S line of
On what continents can these, the four longest rivers in the world, be
(3.) Chang Jian
Is Lima, the capital of Peru, east or west of the 80 degrees W line of
What are the three continents with the largest land areas in the world?
8. How many degrees south of the equator is the South Pole?
1. What is the capital of the country whose neighbors are Colombia, Brazil, and Guyana?
If you are a resident of Canberra, Australia, are you a resident of an
island or a continent?
Why are lines of latitude and longitude important?
Name the seven countries that are part of Central America.
Which continent is smaller in land area than Europe?
What is the capital of the country through which the 40 degrees N line of
and 20 degrees E line of longitude pass?
7. Into how many degrees of longitude is the Earth divided?
If it is dawn in the
eastern U.S., what is it in the
western U.S.? Why?
1. Which country has the most land in both Europe and Asia?
nation is farther south, Egypt or Greece?
Spain :: _________________ : India
two continents have a similar physical shape?
0 degree line of longitude which passes through Greenwich, England, is called the
is the capital of the country that borders Afghanistan, , Tajikistan,
Iran, and India. What is this country’s name?
line of latitude or of longitude divide the Earth into the Eastern and Western
8. What are the five themes of geography?
1. Which two hemispheres have the most land area?
lines act as an “invisible grid” over the earth?
the capital of the country with the most land area in North America?
many degrees (rounded to the nearest 5 degrees) are there between the equator and the
northern tip of Australia?
What are the
five countries in
Western Africa that lie on or between 20 degrees N and 10 degrees N?
Along the coastline of which ocean do they lie?
N? Along the coastline of which ocean do they lie?
second largest sea in the world is south of Haiti and The Dominican Republic. What is its name?
country in southern Africa, with Mozambique and South Africa on its eastern and
southern borders respectively, used to be called Rhodesia?
Draw a compass rose
and label the eight cardinal
and intermediate directions.
Daily Geography 8
1. From which direction does the sun rise in San Francisco,
2. Name three seas that surround
the Philippine Islands.
3. Which tropic cuts
through a large North
American country? What is the name of the country?
4. What state is west of New
Hampshire and east of
5. What oceans border
6. What type of
land form separates Asia from Europe?
What is its name?
7. What continent is south
of the four major oceans of the world?
8. What capital city is near
the equator and 80 degrees W
line of longitude?
Daily Geography 9
Reminder: DOG is not accepted if the questions and answers are not on your paper
when you come into class. Also, please remember the academic policy when doing
your homework. :)
1. Which country has the largest
land area in
2. What lines of latitude determine the "tropics"?
3. Which ocean is larger, the Arctic or Indian?
4. Name at least 2 items a map's key should include.
5. Washington, D.C. : United
States : :
____________________ : China
6. Why is Greenwich, England, so
7. What is the easternmost contiguous state in the United States?
8. What city is the capital of
Alabama and the 1st
capital of the Confederacy?
Daily Geography 10
1. Which state usually has the coldest weather year round and why: Oregon, Tennessee, Arizona, Georgia?
2. Where is the largest gulf in the world located? What is its name?
3. The land masses of Europe and Asia, together, are sometimes called _________________
4. Name the two states that are not part of the contiguous United States.
5. Every ___________ degrees of longitude on the Earth marks another time zone. Into how many time zones is the Earth divided?
6. What state is due north of Pennsylvania?
7. What is the approximate degree of longitude for the International Date Line? Why is it approximate and not exact?
8. Name the 4 oceans in order of size, smallest to largest.
Daily Geography 11
1. Names the five Great Lakes
2. Albany : New York : : ___________________ : Oregon
3. What is the name of the
largest lake in Central
4. What do the following
countries have in common:
Angola, French Guiana, Canada, Portugal?
5. Name the country in southeast Asia between Myanmar and
Laos that used to be called Siam.
6. How many countries does the
Antarctic Circle pass
7. What ocean is closest to Mongolia?
8. What is the capital of the
island that has the Sea
of Japan as its western border?
Daily Geography 12
1. What is the name of the
surrounded by South Africa?
2. What are the two largest seas in southern Europe that touch Russia?
3. Which state capital is farther
north, Utah's or
Illinois's? How do you know?
4. What imaginary lines divide
the Earth into the
Eastern and Western hemispheres?
5. Seoul is the capital of which east Asian nation?
6. Which is closer to the South
Pole, the southern tip
of Africa or the most southern edge of mainland
7. What is the name of the
Spanish islands off the
northwest coast of Africa?
8. What continents does the
Arctic Circle pass
smaller, the Red Sea or the Mediterranean Sea?
There are ______degrees between the Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer?
the capital of __________, a country which occupies land known as Asia Minor?
continents do not have any land in the Southern Hemisphere?
states border Lake Michigan?
of the Unites States are on or above the 60 degrees N line of latitude?
the following countries have in common: Chad, Paraguay, Hungary, Swaziland?
What is the name of one of the largest bodies of fresh
water in the world that is located in eastern Africa?
What two North American countries
touch the Beaufort Sea?
any states located south of 25 degrees N latitude? If so, which one(s)?
What one country
on the Iberian Peninsula?
the name of the bay that is connected to the Atlantic Ocean by the Hudson
What body of water separates Iran from Saudi Arabia?
were designing a map of your city, would you let 1 inch equal 1 mile, 100 miles,
or 500 miles? Why?
of latitude falls halfway between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn?
8. Which of the following states is farthest north:
Nebraska, Iowa, South
Dakota, or Michigan?
What is the capital city?
Asian countries are landlocked?
the name of the body of water that is part of the Indian Ocean between the east
coast of India and the Malay Peninsula?
country is the smallest in land area in Central America?
Which is the largest?
Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine, and Kazakhstan all have in common?
travel from the Eastern time zone to the Central time zone, you need to adjust
your watch. What do you need to do
countries in the Caribbean Sea share the same island?
following are the five largest lakes in the world: To which continents do they belong?
(1) Caspian Sea
(4) Aral Sea
8. What continent lies south of the Atlantic Ocean?
Agulhas is the southernmost point on what continent?
capital city is near 20 degrees N latitude and 100 degrees W longitude?
probably find a scale of 1 in. equals 1,500 mi. on a map of your city, state, or
least four countries on the African continent that are landlocked?
island nation does the equator cross 120 degrees E longitude?
the name of the only U.S. capital with three words in its name?
country does 40 degrees N latitude cross 40 degrees E longitude?
8. Which city is the capital of Hungary: Bucharest, Budapest, Vienna, Prague?
1. ________________ is the isthmus which connects North and South America.
2. List the continents of the world arranged in land size, from smallest to largest (label largest and smallest)
do Kingston, Jamaica and Kinshasa, Democratic Republic of Congo both have in common?
is the proper noun name of the natural boundary which separates Texas from Mexico?
capital city is near 40 degrees N. latitude and 83 degrees W longitude?
large desert is found in
and northern China?
7. Which area has the highest elevation, eastern or western Brazil?
8. What is the capital of the landlocked country that borders Russia to the north and China to the south?
of water connects the Atlantic Ocean
and Lake Ontario?
three types of landforms and provide an example of each.
is the capital of what island group found northeast of Australia?
state is due south of Kentucky?
location exactly halfway between the equator and the North Pole has latitude of
how many degrees?
state capital is east of 90 degrees W longitude: Jackson, Indianapolis, St. Paul?
the Atlantic Ocean’s location in relation to the continents it touches?
8. Is most of Africa north or south of the equator?
were at 0 degrees latitude and 0 degrees longitude, would you be walking or
continent has the least land area, North America or South America?
continent and in which hemispheres do you reside?
Spain there is a
country that has coastlines on
both the Mediterranean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean?
Tagus River have its source or mouth in Spain?
the island of Hispaniola?
continents does the Arabian Sea border?
8. What is the capital of the country whose western border includes Lebanon?
of the Parana River is located in Argentina. In what country can its source be
ocean do 20 degrees S latitude and 80 degrees E longitude intersect?
formed by soil deposited at the mouth of a river is a (an)____________. Find an
example of one on your map.
the only colony on the South American continent?
farther to go from Venezuela to Bolivia or Venezuela to Cuba?
name of the salt lake located on the border between Israel and Jordan?
is the capital of which Asian nation?
What is the name of a well-known cape in the
direction does the Nile river flow?
France, is southeast of the intersection of _______ degree(s) longitude and
_______ degree(s) N latitude?
Mexico have more coastline on the Gulf of Mexico or on the Pacific Ocean?
Wellington, the capital of New Zealand, north or south of the 40 degrees S line
country possesses Easter Island off the coast of South America?
the westernmost state in the United States?
forms the natural boundary between Argentina and Uruguay?
8. What is the name of the country located in the Pyrenees Mountains between France and Spain?
south of Yemen
and north of Somalia?
the capital of Trinidad and Tobago?
large river in eastern Europe passes through Vienna, Austria and Budapest,
what line of longitude does the northeast border of California lie?
large desert in Africa is almost as big as the forty-eight contiguous states in
the United States?
of what river is south of the island nation of Trinidad and Tobago?
the capital of Montana, the state with the fourth largest land area in the
8. What is the proper noun name of the natural boundary between France and Spain?
1. Sofia is the
capital of what European nation?
2. Find the Nile River in Africa.
What two major cities are located near its delta?
3. What larger island is found
off the coast of southern Labrador?
4. What is the capital of the
only state that has a coastline on the Gulf of Mexico and where the
100 degrees W longitude passes through the state?
5. Which city doesn't lie near
the Mexican border: El Paso, San
6. What European city is near the
intersection of 60 degrees N latitude and 30 degrees E longitude?
7. What major river is found in
8. Three-fourths of an inch on a
map equals 500 mi. From Chicago to Cleveland is 1/2 of an inch.
How far would this be in miles?
country is due south of Egypt?
Penh or Hanoi the capital of Vietnam?
country that is not a member of the commonwealth of Independent States borders
the world’s largest lake?
river runs west to east across the northern part of Italy?
the capital of the Scandinavian nation whose eastern border is Russia?
will have dawn first, eastern continental North America or eastern continental South America?
the capital of Idaho?
What country has the longest border on the
1. Which hemisphere, the
Northern or Southern,
has the most land?
2. What gulf is located south of
of 50 degrees E longitude and 30 degrees N
3. Which of the following is the
Lebanon: Basra, Baghdad, Boston, Beirut?
4. Which state capital is
north of 40 degrees N
latitude: Frankfort, Denver, Salt Lake City,
5. What Argentine river has the
same name as
one of the states in the United States?
6. What is the proper noun name
of the landform
that is part of the northwest corner of Africa?
7. What is the capital of Germany?
8. What is the proper noun name
of the natural
boundary that separates Tennessee and
Mountains in Russia are considered to be part of the boundary between Asia and
Europe. What line of east longitude
runs through these mountains?
the southernmost state in the United States?
mountain range separates India and Nepal from China?
desert lies along the southwest coast of Africa?
is to Hungary as ______________ is to Liechtenstein.
A bay is
an arm of an ocean, sea, or lake extending into land.
Find an example of a bay on the North American continent.
meridians divide the earth into the Eastern and Western Hemispheres?
8. What large lake is shared by the countries of Peru and Bolivia?
the capital of the country that is located on a long boot-shaped peninsula that
juts into the Mediterranean Sea?
African lake borders Niger, Chad, Nigeria, and Cameroon?
degrees are there between the equator and the Tropic of Cancer?
the capital of New Mexico? At what
degree of latitude is this city located?
touches Hong Kong?
the capital of Luxembourg, a European country smaller in land area than Rhode
the capital of the island nation southeast of Greenland?
8. Where is the sea of Okhotsk located?
the only state capital west of 150 degrees W longitude?
strip of land between two bodies of water connecting two large areas of land is
called a(an) ________?
to the Czech Republic as ___________ is to Ireland?
the name of the northernmost state in the 50 United States?
the following cities does not fit the order?
Tropics of Capricorn and Cancer lines of latitude or longitude?
northeastern or southeastern France have higher elevations?
8. What is the name of the large lake in South Central Australia?
chain of islands off the Alaskan Peninsula is part of the United States?
the capital of the westernmost country on the Scandinavian Peninsula?
separates the continents of Europe and Africa?
state would you most likely visit if you enjoyed mountain climbing: Florida,
Washington, Indiana? Why?
island group is closest to the South Pole: Falkland, Hawaiian, Solomon?
three countries that border the Bay of Bengal.
capes at the southern tip of Africa.
8. The capital of Poland is Warsaw. Is this city east or west of the 20 degrees E line of longitude?
(yes, there are only 7 questions this week.) :) Name:
1. Does the
Prime Meridian pass through the Arctic Circle
or the Antarctic Circle?
2. Find the Volga River in Russia. In what direction
does it flow?
3. What bay borders both France and Spain?
4. Which North American country is narrow enough to be
considered an isthmus?
5. What gulf
is located to the east of the intersection of
100 degrees E longitude and 10 degrees N latitude?
6. What two Great Lakes border Wisconsin?
7. The Amazon River in South America flows in what
Daily Geography Week 31 Name:
1. If it is twilight in the
western United States, what is it in the eastern United State? Why?
2. Put the following states in
order from the farthest south to the farthest north: Missouri, Alabama,
3. In what part of Nevada is the
city of Las Vegas located?
4. What is the small country in
northeastern Italy near the Adriatic Sea?
5. What are the capitals of the
two large countries that occupy the Iberian Peninsula in Europe?
6. What is the capital of the
Scandinavian country located between Norway and Finland?
7. What western state in the
forty-eight contiguous states has the longest border with Canada?
8. What mountains run between the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea?
Daily Geography Week 32 Name:
1. Belmopan is the capital of what Central American country?
2. Which is farthest north: Atlanta, San Diego, or El Paso?
3. What is the capital of the island country just south of Cuba?
4. Is the Kalahari Desert of Africa north or south of the equator?
5. What direction does the Chang Jian (Yangtze) River in China flow?
6. What is the capital of the nation whose northern border is Lebanon?
7. The Ganges River flows into what bay?
8. What four of the Great Lakes border Michigan?
Daily Geography Week 33 Name:
1. What river in northern South America has its delta near the islands of Trinidad and Tobago?
2. Which capital city is farther east: Bern (Switzerland) or Paris (France)?
3. On what large body of water is Buffalo, New York, located?
4. Is Baffin Bay north or south of Hudson Bay?
5. What is the capital of the country on the Adriatic Sea that has France, Switzerland, and Austria on it northern border?
6. Which country claims Greenland?
7. What is the capital of Arkansas?
8. Which Canadian city is farthest east: Edmonton, Winnipeg, or Vancouver?