• Welcome to the Alternative Programs Department

Learning Support Services
Alternative Programs
13626 Twin Peaks Road, Poway, CA 92064
Phone: 858-679-2530 Fax 858-679-2630



Youth In Transition (YIT) Program
April Egaran, YIT Coordinator
858-748-0010 x 2039

Information for Parents and School-Aged Youth - Click here

A family qualifies for Youth in Transition if a family or student lives in any of the following situations:

  • In a shelter
  • In a car
  • In a hotel/motel-not paid for by any type of insurance
  • On the Street
  • In an abandoned building, trailer, campsite, or other inadequate accommodations
  • Doubled up with friends or relatives because affordable housing cannot be found - and that doubled up situation puts the family or students sleeping in some type of temporary situation/location.

If a family meets the above criteria, please complete the following steps:

  1. COMPLETE THE NECESSARY FORMS (Will not qualify for services without the below supporting documentation):


Additional forms, after program approval and contract signed: 

  1. Turn in the completed forms to the school site.  The school site will fax your completed forms  to (858) 679-2630.  If you need help with the forms, please contact the school site for assistance.


School-Aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.  Those rights are:

  • Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there.  Must be given access to the same public education provided to other children.
  • Continue in the school attended before becoming homeless or the school last attended, if that is the choice and is feasible.  If a school sends a child to a school other than the one requested, the school must provide a written explanation and offer the right to appeal the decision.
  • Receive transportation assistance to the school attended before the family became homeless, if feasible, and a parent/guardian requests such assistance.
  • Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless.  (Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.)
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
  • Enroll and attend classes while the school and family seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling the children.
  • Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.

If further assistance is needed, call the numbers listed below:


Poway Unified School District contact:  April Egaran (858) 748-0010, ext 2039

State Coordinator:  Leanne Wheeler (916) 657-2871

National Center for Homeless Education free help line:  1-800-308-2145


Download Youth in Transition brochure

Download Spanish Youth in Transition brochure

Download Youth in Transition Handbook (167kb)

FACULTY & STAFF:  Download the Procedure:  Youth in Transition procedure


Elaine Cofrancesco,Ph.D., 

Executive Director, Student Support Services


Fax 858-679-2630
Michele Cass, Admin Assistant
858 - 748 - 0010, Ext. 2063
Alternative Programs Phone Directory


Help support Alternative Programs with our

School Fundraiser - Cell Phone Recycling and Ink Jet Cartridge Fundraiser.

Alternative Programs

Get pdf ReaderDownload the latest version of Adobe Reader

School Websites

Elementary Schools

Middle Schools

High Schools

Alternative Education