Learning Support Services
13626 Twin Peaks Road, Poway, CA 92064
Youth In Transition (YIT) Program
Abbie Davis, YIT Coordinator
858-748-0010 x 2039
A family qualifies for Youth in Transition if a family or student lives in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter
- In a car
- In a hotel/motel-not paid for by any type of insurance
- On the Street
- In an abandoned building, trailer, campsite, or other inadequate accommodations
- Doubled up with friends or relatives because affordable housing cannot be found - and that doubled up situation puts the family or students sleeping in some type of temporary situation/location.
If a family meets the above criteria, please complete the following steps:
- COMPLETE THE NECESSARY FORMS (Will not qualify for services without the below supporting documentation):
- Student Residency Affidavit(all students print and complete)
- Affidavit for Missing Enrollment Documentation (print and complete if new to a school or the school district)
- Tagalog Student Residency Affidavit (print and complete)
- Spanish Student Residency Affidavit (print and complete)
- Information for Parents and Youth-Bilingual (for your reference only)
- If you are in a shelter, please complete the Authorization for Information form (print and complete)
Additional forms, after program approval and contract signed:
- Turn in the completed forms to the school site. The school site will fax your completed forms to (858) 679-2630. If you need help with the forms, please contact the school site for assistance.
ONLY VALID FOR CURRENT SCHOOL YEAR - BY LAW, EACH FAMILY MUST RE-APPLY AND RE-QUALIFY EACH SCHOOL YEAR.
School-Aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act. Those rights are:
- Go to school, no matter where they live or how long they have lived there. Must be given access to the same public education provided to other children.
- Continue in the school attended before becoming homeless or the school last attended, if that is the choice and is feasible. If a school sends a child to a school other than the one requested, the school must provide a written explanation and offer the right to appeal the decision.
- Receive transportation assistance to the school attended before the family became homeless, if feasible, and a parent/guardian requests such assistance.
- Attend a school and participate in school programs with children who are not homeless. (Children cannot be separated from the regular school program because they are homeless.)
- Enroll and attend classes while the school arranges for the transfer of school and immunization records or any other documents required for enrollment.
- Enroll and attend classes while the school and family seek to resolve a dispute over enrolling the children.
- Receive the same special programs and services, if needed, as provided to all other children served in these programs.
If further assistance is needed, call the numbers listed below:
Poway Unified School District contact: Martha Parham (858) 679-2531
State Coordinator: Leanne Wheeler (916) 657-2871
National Center for Homeless Education free help line: 1-800-308-2145
Download Youth in Transition brochure
Download Spanish Youth in Transition brochure
Download Youth in Transition Handbook (167kb)
FACULTY & STAFF: Download the Procedure: Youth in Transition procedure
Help support Alternative Programs with our