For information regarding Kindergarten Enrollment for the
2012-13 school year click here.
KINDERGARTEN/TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN ENROLLMENT INFORMATION 2013-2014
We welcome you and your Kindergartener to the Poway Unified School District. Enrollment forms for the 2013-2014 school year will be available after May 1, 2013. Enrollment forms are available at Enrollment . Please note the immunization requirements below; students will not be permitted to enroll until these requirements are met. In addition, you must bring with you the child's birth certificate or passport, two separate forms of residency verification, and the completed immunization records.
Kindergarten Enrollment for 2013-14 will take place at each school site beginning the second week of May. Check back here for a complete listing or visit your home school's website in late April.
California law requires the following:
1. A certified birth or baptismal certificate is required for proof of age. Your child MUST BE FIVE YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE OCTOBER 1, 2013 (for the 2013-14 school year).
2. California immunization requirements are:
a) Polio - 4 doses (3 doses if at least one dose was given on or after fourth birthday)
b) DTP - 5 doses (4 doses if at least one dose was given on or after fourth birthday)
c) MMR - 2 doses (Both doses must be given on or after first birthday)
d) Hepatitis B - 3 doses
e) Varicella (Chicken Pox) – 1 dose (or health care provider documentation of Chickenpox disease)
3. All children are required to have their vaccinations fully completed before enrolling in Kindergarten, unless exempted as provided by law. The official record is the California state record immunization (yellow card) obtained from your health care provider, which contains the following information:
a) Name of child
b) Date of birth
c) Name of immunization administered
d) Day, month and year of each immunization
e) Signature or stamp of health care provider or agency administering each vaccine
NOTE: ALL IMMUNIZATIONS MUST BE UP TO DATE AND VERIFIED AT ENROLLMENT! STUDENTS WILL NOT BE PRE-ENROLLED, ENROLLED, OR ADMITTED WITHOUT THIS EVIDENCE.
Only two types of exemptions are allowed for immunization
(1) medical, or (2) personal beliefs. Exemptions must be handled prior to enrollment. Ask your school for specific requirements now.
4. All students are required to have a specific physical examination when entering first grade. This Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) examination may be obtained within 18 months prior to entering first grade. The pre-kindergarten physical qualifies if obtained within six months prior to entering kindergarten in August 2013. Please request forms from your school. If you meet income eligibility, a no-cost physical may be available to you. Check with the Health Technician for names of physicians/clinics in the area.
5. Oral Health Assessments (dental screening) are now required for all children entering public school for the first time at either the kindergarten or first grade level. Forms and waivers are included in registration packets.
6. All school districts in California have been advised that the State Controller’s Office will rigorously enforce Title V (Administrative Code) and Education Code provisions for verification of residency for school attendance. It is therefore necessary for district staff to verify residency of all enrolling students. The enrolling parent/legal guardian/foster parent/relative will be required to complete a Residency Verification form and present two of the following original documents, which will be photocopied and kept in the student’s file. Any subsequent change of address for the
- Deed to primary residence
- Escrow papers for primary residence
- Rental/lease agreement for primary residence
- Military housing orders (base housing office written verification)
- Declaration of temporary residency affidavits for homeless families
- Current bill from local utility company
- Any other legal document(s) which establishes residence address within district boundaries
Additionally, enrollment forms (which may be obtained on the district website) are required and all forms (including the child's social security number, if applicable) must be completed and submitted before a child is eligible for admittance.
The above mentioned items must be provided to the site during their respective enrollment time (see schedule).
If you are unable to enroll your child by June 21, more information will be forthcoming on how to enroll during the summer months. Information will be posted on our website in May or June at this address: http://www.powayusd.com/enrollment/ regarding this process.