KINDERGARTEN/TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN ENROLLMENT INFORMATION 2014-2015
Welcome to the Poway Unified School District! To assist you as you enroll your child in kindergarten, or transitional kindergarten, we have included important information for you.
On Page 3 you will find the enrollment schedule at your child’s school. California law requires the following:
- A certified birth or baptismal certificate is required for proof of age. As required by State law, your child MUST BE FIVE YEARS OF AGE ON OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 1, 2014. If your child has his/her 5th birthday September 2, 2014 – December 2, 2014, they will be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten.
- California immunization requirements are:
- Polio – 4 doses (3 doses if at least one dose was given on or after fourth birthday)
- DTP – 5 doses (4 doses if last dose was given on or after fourth birthday)
- MMR – 2 doses (Both doses must be given on or after first birthday)
- Hepatitis B – 3 doses
- Varicella (Chickenpox) – 1 dose (OR health care provider documentation of Chickenpox disease)
- All children are required to have their vaccinations fully completed before enrolling in Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten, unless exempted as provided by law. The official record is the California state record immunization obtained from your health care provider, which contains the following information:
- Name of child
- Date of birth
- Name of immunization administrated
- Day, month and year of each immunization
- Signature or stamp of health care provider or agency administering each vaccine
NOTE: ALL IMMUNIZATIONS MUST BE UP TO DATE AND VERIFIED AT ENROLLMENT! STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO ATTEND SCHOOL WITHOUT THIS EVIDENCE.
Only two types of exemptions are allowed for immunization requirements and must be handled prior to enrollment:
- Medical – temporary and permanent medical exemptions require a doctor’s written statement.
- Personal Beliefs – AB2109 Consent Law now requires that health care providers have informed parents about vaccines and vaccine-preventable diseases. This exemption requires signatures by both the health care provider and the parent on CDPH form 8262. Consult your health care provider for more information.
- All students are required to have a specific physical examination when entering first grade. This Child Health and Disability Prevention (CHDP) examination may be obtained within 18 months prior to entering first grade. The pre-kindergarten physical qualifies if obtained within six months prior to entering kindergarten in August 2014. Please request forms from your school. If you meet income eligibility, a no-cost physical may be available to you. Check with the Health Technician for names of physicians/clinics in the area.
- Oral Health Assessments (dental screening) are now required for all children entering public school for the first time at either the TK, kindergarten or first grade level. Forms and waivers are included in enrollment packets.
- All school districts in California have been advised that the State Controller’s Office will rigorously enforce Title V (Administrative Code) and Education Code provisions for verification of residency for school attendance. It is, therefore, necessary for district staff to verify residency of all enrolling students. The enrolling parent/legal guardian/foster parent/relative will be required to complete a Residency Verification form and present two of the following original documents, which will be photocopied and kept in the student’s file. Any subsequent change of address for the student will also
require any two of the following documents:
- Deed to primary address
- Escrow papers for primary residence
- Rental/lease agreement for primary residence
- Military housing orders (base housing office written verification)
- Declaration of temporary residency affidavits for homeless families
- Current bill from local utility company
- Any other legal document(s) which establishes residence address within district boundaries
- Deed to primary address
Additionally, enrollment forms (which may be obtained on the district website) are required and all forms (including the child’s social security number, if applicable) must be completed and submitted before a child is eligible for admittance.
The above mentioned items must be provided to the site during your respective enrollment time (see schedule of page 3).
If you are unable to enroll your child by June 20, more information will be forthcoming on how to enroll during the summer months. Information will be posted on our website in April at this address:
http://www.powayusd.com/enrollment/ regarding this process.
If you have any questions, please contact the elementary school in your area.
Cindy DeClercq, Executive Director, LSS
Kimberlie Rens, Executive Director, LSS
Eric Lehew, Executive Director, LSS