Substitute Teacher Information
Phone: (858) 521-2774 FAX: (858) 485-1355
In addition to the completed on-line application form [Apply on-line at: http://applicant.powayusd.com], you must provide Human Resources with copies of the following documents, prior to being scheduled for an orientation:
Valid California Credential - You must provide the District with a copy of your valid California Teaching Credential (multiple subject, single subject, or the 30 day emergency credential). You must also register your credential with the San Diego Office of Education in order for you to be hired. If you do not hold a valid California Credential and would like to obtain information on the requirements and process for obtaining a California Credential you may wish to contact:
San Diego Office of Education
6401 Linda Vista Rd.
San Diego, CA 92111
- San Diego Office of Education
- Fingerprinting - If you are applying for a California Credential or Emergency Permit for the first time you will be required to pay an additional fingerprint fee through the San Diego County Office of Education in order to receive the initial issuance of your credential or permit.
- TB Certification - In accordance with the Education Code, all employees must provide proof of having been checked and found free of active tuberculosis before beginning employment. Please provide evidence of a negative test within the last 4 years. A copy of the test results is sufficient.
- Verification that you have passed the CBEST examination (California Basic Educational Skills Test).
- Copy of your Passport, Driver’s License or Military ID card.
- Social Security Card. Your original Social Security card is required, we will make the copy.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Unofficial copies of your transcripts
Poway Unified holds mandatory orientations. All new substitutes must attend an orientation before they can begin substitute teaching for the district.
*Application packets will be accepted on the following days and times,
Monday 9:00-1:00pm, Wednesday12:00-4:00pm, and Friday 9:00-1:00pm at:
- Poway Unified School District,
15250 Avenue of Science,
San Diego, CA 92128-3406
- Poway Unified School District, Attn: Personnel
*Please bring copies of all of the required documentation except your social security card as we are required to make the copy. Incomplete packets will not be accepted for processing.
The daily rate of pay for substitutes is $100 a day, $110.00 on Friday (or the last day of the work week) and any Special Education assignment is $115.00. A half day assignment (3.5 hours) is $60.00.
Apply on-line at: http://applicant.powayusd.com