The guiding principles listed below provide the basis for the Poway Unified School District's policies and practices regarding assessment and evaluation. These guiding principles provide a focus for decision making around assessment instruments, practices, and the use of results. For more information see the District's Comprehensive Assessment Plan.
- GUIDING PRINCIPLE #1 The essential purpose of assessment is the improvement of student learning.
- GUIDING PRINCIPLE #2 Assessment must provide a comprehensive picture of student achievement
- GUIDING PRINCIPLE #3 Assessment must measure student growth over time
- GUIDING PRINCIPLE #4 Assessment must be valid and reliable
- GUIDING PRINCIPLE #5 Assessment data must be responsibly and efficiently collected and managed
The assessment of student progress is essential to our District's mission of "All Students Learning" and an integral component of the learning process. All learners, regardless of their ages require feedback if they are to improve their performance.
Measure of Academic Progress
MAP, or the Measure of Academic Progress, is a computerized adaptive test which helps teachers, parents, and administrators improve learning for all students and make informed decisions to promote a child's academic growth.
California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress
CAASPP, The California Assessment of Student Performance and Progress suite of assessments are intended to provide educators, parents, and students accurate and actionable information about what students are learning. The CAASPP consists of the following:
California English Language Development Test
- Smarter Balanced Summative Assessments
- The California Alternate Assessment (CAA)
- The California Science Test (CAST)
, The California English Language Development Test are to identify LEP (Limited English Proficient) students, determine the level of English language proficiency, and to assess the progress of LEP students in acquiring the skills of listening, reading, speaking and writing in English.
California Physical Fitness Test
, The physical fitness test for students in California schools is the FITNESSGRAM®. The FITNESSGRAM® is a comprehensive, health-related physical fitness battery developed by The Cooper Institute.
PUSD is committed to preparing students for the 21st Century and as such provides a wide range of testing services to help students achieve their goals.